My new Russian tortoise wont eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
Hey all,

I am a new Russian tortoise mother. I purchased Winnie three days ago and Oliver yesterday... neither one of them have eaten yet. I know it is normal for them not to eat for a couple of days, but is three days unusual? I was originally only going to get one, but I felt bad for separationg them and decided to get them both hoping they would acclimate better... any thoughts/advice?

Adarsta86

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine/New Jersey/Vermont
I had the same problem! I purchased Rasputin about 3 weeks ago now, and he didn't eat for 4 days. I thought he was sick, so we got him checked out. I thought it was stress (and I'm sure that was a big part of it), but then I realized I had to fix the temp/humidity in his enclosure. Once that was fixed he woke up more and he began eating with enthusiasm! If it makes you feel any better, all the research I did said Russians wont purposely starve themselves. Good luck!

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
Thanks for telling me that. The temp in the enclosure is about 90 under the basking light and about 70 in the cooler spot. Right after i posted this I cut up the romaine into much smaller pieces and added carrott, apple, and fresh green beans. The one I got 3 days ago ate a little tiny bit (mostly apple) but the other one didn't eat at all (Ive only had him for one day). She didn't eat very much at all though...

Status
Not open for further replies.