Box Turtle with Diarrhea

Maria_Z

Location (City and/or State)
Geismar Louisiana
My box turtle, squirtle, has been having diarrhea for a couple of weeks now but it has been getting worse in my opinion. Before her poop wasn’t too watery but now it is. She’s not pooping as much as she used to either. I have not changed her diet at all. I noticed her diarrhea got worse after her vet appointment. She went in because a wound on her leg but now it’s healed. Any suggestions?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We need details of how she is kept, and what she has been eating all along, and for how long have you had her.

Maria_Z

Geismar Louisiana
We need details of how she is kept, and what she has been eating all along, and for how long have you had her.
I have had her for almost a year. She mostly eat mealworms, vegetables, fruits, and flowers. She has cypress substrate with moss and leaves. She also has a UV lamp.

Attachments

• IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4013.jpeg
    IMG_4013.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4049.jpeg
    IMG_4049.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4046.jpeg
    IMG_4046.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You sure have a large variety of packaged food! Does your turtle get any natural growing plants, weeds etc.? Also, I understand that moss if it's eaten will cause problems like maybe impaction, which would be serious. I am calling on @Yvonne G and @Markw84 and @jeff kushner for their experienced help. Thanks for your response.

Reactions: Ink

Maria_Z

Geismar Louisiana
You sure have a large variety of packaged food! Does your turtle get any natural growing plants, weeds etc.? Also, I understand that moss if it's eaten will cause problems like maybe impaction, which would be serious. I am calling on @Yvonne G and @Markw84 and @jeff kushner for their experienced help. Thanks for your response.
Hey! Yes she does get natural plants and flowers as well as fruits and vegetables! She doesn’t get them much (not too often or in high amounts) but we do try to include fresh and natural food in her diet. She prefers more protein (mealworms and insects) overall. We try to include flowers from our garden, banana, strawberries, blueberries, apples, carrots and broccoli.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Have you tried a new food within the time of diarrhea? Did your vet give him medicine or anything?

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
My box turtle, squirtle, has been having diarrhea for a couple of weeks now but it has been getting worse in my opinion. Before her poop wasn’t too watery but now it is. She’s not pooping as much as she used to either. I have not changed her diet at all. I noticed her diarrhea got worse after her vet appointment. She went in because a wound on her leg but now it’s healed. Any suggestions?
I would try two things. First try either very lean ground meat or ground turkey. Much more digestible protein. Also I have read that mealworms (especially dried ones) can be hard to digest for some turtles, with that exoskeleton. You could try switching to live waxworms. They are much softer. Earthworms or wigglers are also great, so long as they are not from a bait shop. They can be contaminated. Petsmart/Petco ones are generally safe.

Maria_Z

Geismar Louisiana
I would try two things. First try either very lean ground meat or ground turkey. Much more digestible protein. Also I have read that mealworms (especially dried ones) can be hard to digest for some turtles, with that exoskeleton. You could try switching to live waxworms. They are much softer. Earthworms or wigglers are also great, so long as they are not from a bait shop. They can be contaminated. Petsmart/Petco ones are generally safe.
For the ground meat or turkey would it be raw? I have never given her meat before so I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be cooked or not. Thanks!

Maria_Z

Geismar Louisiana
Have you tried a new food within the time of diarrhea? Did your vet give him medicine or anything?
No new food was given to her. Her diet has been the same. The only medicine given to her was a cream for the wound on her leg.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.7 KB · Views: 1