Substrate for a 3 Legged Turtle

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
When you keep a box turtle in a glass enclosure they stress out. If you have to use glass or anything clear, you should try to put up paper or anything that won't allow them to see outside the tank. it should be high enough they cannot see out. The larger rubbermaid bins are good, bc they are about $20 for a 55 gallon, and that is a decent size, if you have to keep her in the house. Plus the 55 gallon tubs can be dragged outside when it's nice and set in the shade. ( as long as your yard is safe from dogs and predators at the time.
Never, ever, ever, ever had one stress out in glass. I mean never. Ever. (Ever)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I haven't either but I will say that tank is extremely small for that size box turtle so I could see it happening in this case.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
the glass issue was what i was told by the experts. Maybe it's true, maybe not. I didn't want to take the chance.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
the glass issue was what i was told by the experts. Maybe it's true, maybe not. I didn't want to take the chance.
the difference in behavior with glass barriers and solid barriers has seemed pretty clear to me .... i cover them so the turtles can't see through them and they stop trying to get through them .......... not sure if it stresses the turtle , but it stresses me watching them ......