My parents fed my Herman tortoise fruit… (help/question)

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So, sorry again for posting.

I’ve been at work today and my Hermann tortoise ate an entire strawberry as my parents decided to think he could eat it.

Now I’m like 99% sure he CANNOT eat a strawberry but please someone tell me otherwise.

Now say he shouldn’t have ate it, what are the consequences and how much does this guy now need treated.

I know they were trying their best but I did tell them strictly no fruit (my dad is arrogant and believes that AI and Google has all the answers!) though as I can tell, it doesn’t because stuff on this forum says otherwise.

Please let me know, thanks.

_The_Beast_

Canada
Strawberries (and fruit generally) are in the 'No' list for this species as they are not evolved to digest the sugars. One won't be fatal, but you may see stomach upsets (weird poops) and they may go on a brief hunger strike. Returning them to a species appropriate diet and ensuring proper heat, humidity, and hydration should be enough for them to bounce back to normal as long as this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

Sorry to hear that your Dad didn't respect your instructions. Others with more experience than me will likely respond as well.

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Strawberries (and fruit generally) are in the 'No' list for this species as they are not evolved to digest the sugars. One won't be fatal, but you may see stomach upsets (weird poops) and they may go on a brief hunger strike. Returning them to a species appropriate diet and ensuring proper heat, humidity, and hydration should be enough for them to bounce back to normal as long as this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

Sorry to hear that your Dad didn't respect your instructions. Others with more experience than me will likely respond as well.
Thank you very very much, he been acting a little off in general I’ve been putting down to the weather. This is just the cherry on top of the cake.

Yeah my dad always been arrogant and apparently doesn’t know how to respect boundaries when I strictly said no fruit. Sorry for that tho, different side rant lol.

Need to now lay down the law and explain the consequences

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
So, sorry again for posting.

I’ve been at work today and my Hermann tortoise ate an entire strawberry as my parents decided to think he could eat it.

Now I’m like 99% sure he CANNOT eat a strawberry but please someone tell me otherwise.

Now say he shouldn’t have ate it, what are the consequences and how much does this guy now need treated.

I know they were trying their best but I did tell them strictly no fruit (my dad is arrogant and believes that AI and Google has all the answers!) though as I can tell, it doesn’t because stuff on this forum says otherwise.

Please let me know, thanks.
Hello!
One strawberry won't do much harm. It can cause digestive disorder for several days or with adequate temperatures and diet can pass just fine.

Google and AI can't be blindly trusted. More reliable sources like TFO care sheets, Chris Leone from Garden State Tortoises, Andy Highfield (who studied and published papers on Mediterranean species in the wild) advise not to feed fruit. That's how Andy Highfield describes consequences: "If you feed arid habitat tortoises fruit it will cause severe digestive tract upsets, diarrhoea, encourage the proliferation of digestive tract parasites such as flagellate organisms, and can even lead to sudden death from a maladjusted gut pH”

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Hello!
One strawberry won't do much harm. It can cause digestive disorder for several days or with adequate temperatures and diet can pass just fine.

Google and AI can't be blindly trusted. More reliable sources like TFO care sheets, Chris Leone from Garden State Tortoises, Andy Highfield (who studied and published papers on Mediterranean species in the wild) advise not to feed fruit. That's how Andy Highfield describes consequences: "If you feed arid habitat tortoises fruit it will cause severe digestive tract upsets, diarrhoea, encourage the proliferation of digestive tract parasites such as flagellate organisms, and can even lead to sudden death from a maladjusted gut pH”
That death part scared me..

Hopefully he is okay 😕

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Show your dad the post from
Alex the red foot and he will get it.
That scared the crap outta me!!! 😱😱😱🤯
I’ll NEVER eat another strawberry 🍓 in my entire lifetime!!!! 🥺😳