my re-intorduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My hatchling libby sadly passed away last april, when mu friend was watching her while we were away for a week. we are about to go pick up a 5 year old sulcata and im sooooo excited, he needs a new home and im ready for another tort! so y'all are gonna be seeing alot of me!

natalie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Welcome back. I'm brand new here, so I didn't know you from before. Love sulcatas, so its nice to have someone else on my team.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jupiteranette:

1592087ot4jcxsppc.gif
to the forum!! Looking forward to "seeing a lot of you" in the future! Be sure to send us pictures of your new baby.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
so we got "dozer" home, he is pyramiding a little but i dont think it is too bad, what im more concerned about is he is filthy, he is actually dusty on his shell, like dust you would fund on a shelf.... in my house :) lol and his belly is blackened in the crevices with filth, tomorrow im going to give him a good warm soaking, tonight i just want him to relax and come out of his shell.

we have him set up in a 40 breeder for now, on cypress mulch, with pink stone under a 150watt ceramic heater and a 10 uvba light he has a water bowl timothy hey and i gave him some fresh greens and a baby carrot for tonight. sprinkled with calcium with D3

his temp in the basking is 80-83ish and the cooler end is 65-70ish

he is 5 years old and his shell is 8 in long and 6 in wide.
he is already very heavy:) im told he is a good eater, he is very scared i hope with time he will be as social as my libby was but i will love him even his he is bashful.

i have taken the resoces from here, a few books, and a few local reptile "experts" i know and come to what im doing is the general consensus, I know there are many opinions but i just want him to be happy.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i havea peice of pink slate under his basking (150 watt ceramic coil) and uvba light, and it is 80-85 on the them on the glass next to him, he hasnt left that spot, i moved some food over to him..... im scared he wont eat or move ... he hides when ever i go in that room to check on him..... his eyes are clear, and after his bath last night he looks and smells 100% better!..

do they have lazy days?

is he scared and just likes the warmth?

the cool end is only 75 this morning. i covered the cool end to keep some heat in.

also i have a question.... think this is where to put it....

can some one explain how the signatures work that look like this..

0.0.1 dog suzie
1.2.0 bird
0.1.0 tortoise

is it males females.... decesed, babys adults... rescues... what are the category's...

thanks

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks soooo much!!!!!!!

i did pics of dozer in the pic and videos area under dozer sulcata

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Directly under the light the temp should be quite a bit hotter than it is. I think he's not moving because he's trying to get warm. You should have it at least 100 directly under the light. Then, away from the light would be upwards of 80 and the cool side should be upwards of 70.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Directly under the light the temp should be quite a bit hotter than it is. I think he's not moving because he's trying to get warm. You should have it at least 100 directly under the light. Then, away from the light would be upwards of 80 and the cool side should be upwards of 70.

thank you... we are covering it differently and my hubby went and got a digital therm, so we can check the temp in the basking spot not from the one stuck to the glass, and it is alot hotter then we thought oops... but good

reading at 94.8 F directly over his shell and on the sub strait in the cool side it is 78.3F

i coverd the Hot side with an upside down rubbermaid bucket to hold the heat down, its working well

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
welcome to the forum Natalie

Status
Not open for further replies.