My red foot's house :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
I wanted to show you guys my house :D I'm still adding stuff in though but it's the start! So I want to show you the before and the after. I'm not sure if it's good though :( I see that other people have more awesome ones. Also if the pictures didn't work then sorry I: I don't really know how to do it the right way yet!

Also the first one is the after and the second one is before

Also the redfoot's not that big he's about the size of the white bowl with the pellets but smaller :3

Attachments

• alfredo house #1.jpg
    alfredo house #1.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 86
  • alfredo house #3.jpg
    alfredo house #3.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 111

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shawn:

You've done a nice job on the habitat. I like it, but there are a couple things...I don't think the sides are tall enough. Without seeing the tortoise in there to judge, I'm thinking he may be able to reach up and climb out??? And its hard to tell just how big it is compared to the tortoise, but I'm getting the feeling that its not big enough.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The first picture is the 'after', correct? Did you raise the sides in that one, somehow they look taller?
You may want to consider covering part of the enclosure with a piece of plexiglass, and/or making a "humid hide' (you can do a search for this on this site), as Redfoots do need their humidity. Spraying the substrate down even a couple of times per day can help and you can pour some water right in with the cypress mulch.
Very nice improvements, you are doing a good job.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Yeah I do spray it since I don't have plexi glass and the sides are about a feet high on the first one. The second one is the same one but I did raise it higher. I don't really think it's too small for the little guy since he's only 2 inches and the house is like 3 feet long :3

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like a great size.
If you like, you can make a humid hide:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II#axzz1F2ujU5pl
By the way, have you looked at Terryo's RF enclosures? They are beautiful. I think she uses an overturned pot with moistened sphagnum moss that has the water squeezed out of it. Lots of plants.
I think your enclosure looks great, and these are just fine tuning suggestions! ;)

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
:D I think I will try the humid hide. never thought of that but seems like a great idea! I will also try to pick up some plexiglass today

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Angrycowgoesmoo said:
:D I think I will try the humid hide. never thought of that but seems like a great idea! I will also try to pick up some plexiglass today

I know Home Depot sells it in precut sizes. The acrylic plexiglass is less expensive than Lexan.
If you put a 1"x2" piece of wood across one end, 12" in, you could get a 12" x24" piece of acrylic plexiglass and fill the last 12"x12" in with a piece of wood or screen, or leave it open and clamp one of your lights in that section (if not touching wood, etc.).
I think the humid hide is a great idea, then your tort has the choice.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
No it's not running at once only the heat lamp is on the UV isn't on at that moment and I only turn the CHE on at night

Status
Not open for further replies.