Red Foot's fighting during dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
As most of you know by now, I have two red foot's (jack and meg) that are now three months old. (I don't know the sex obviously I just like to think for now it's a boy and girl)

Yesterday when I was feeding them it appeared that Jack was nudging Meg pretty hard to get to a piece of lettuce she was eating. He even ended up biting down on her mouth as they were both chewing on the same tiny piece.

I've researched a lot and most people seem to believe red foot's do alright in pairs, but I'm concerned that their may already be bullying going on.

I suppose it could have just been coincidental that they were going after the same piece but I'm not sure.

Would a third tortoise help smooth things out? Or should I just monitor them and see if any other incidents occur?

Thanks fellas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its not big deal. Just make two feeding stations...out of sight of each other.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I was thinking of trying that tonight, thanks Yvonne.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Its not big deal. Just make two feeding stations...out of sight of each other.

A pretty simple solution, that usually works. ;) :D

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I'm all for simple solutions, though an excuse to buy a third wouldn't have been a bad thing ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh...Now I get it. Too bad I ruined you plan. :p

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
No it's better this way Yvonne Lol. Two is enough for now, i think ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Redfoot tortoise...along with any other tortoise can and do bully when they are in pairs...and while you don't know what sex they are, they do :D

The two feeding station suggestion is a great thing to try....however if you observe one not as active, not moving around as freely, sleeping alot more but the other is thriving then you may end up needing two enclosures.....I have two Redfoot here and one of them absolutely was bullied....toes bite off...bite marks on the legs and eyes closed--it took two enclosures and five months before the weaker one began to act like a tortoise.....

There are some tortoise that are less prone to bullying...but pairs can change that dynamic....

I totally hope the change at feeding time will correct all for them...:D

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
It really isn't....but if I get three I will want 4 to make it an even number lol.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have two feeding stations and every once in a while, one will climb into the bowl and not let the 3rd one eat. I just remove him from the bowl and place him in the back of the enclosure away from the food to allow the others to eat. He gradually makes his way back to the food, but shares the food. It only happens in my inside enclosure. The outside pen I have such a large feeding area for them, that it is not a problem. If they do bully, then the one being bullied just goes and eats on a plant or eats the grass until the others are through with the food supplied for the day.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is intentional bullying, and incidental bullying. Using their bulk to block access to food, basking sites, hides, etc. is common and probably more a result of size and bulk than any ill-intent- but it is a good example of why there should always be enough space, hides, etc. to satisfy all the animals.

In the case of eating- two stations does not always do it (but is still a good idea). Whenever a tort sees another eating, what it is eating is a thousand times more interesting than any other food in the area for some reason and they often seen to obsess over getting THAT piece of food.

Unless things get more aggressive it is not usually a big deal.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
EddieW said:
It really isn't....but if I get three I will want 4 to make it an even number lol.

:D and so begins the unending cycle. :D

Madkins007 said:
Whenever a tort sees another eating, what it is eating is a thousand times more interesting than any other food in the area for some reason and they often seen to obsess over getting THAT piece of food.

Just like any other kid. :D

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Madkins007 said:
There is intentional bullying, and incidental bullying. Using their bulk to block access to food, basking sites, hides, etc. is common and probably more a result of size and bulk than any ill-intent- but it is a good example of why there should always be enough space, hides, etc. to satisfy all the animals.

In the case of eating- two stations does not always do it (but is still a good idea). Whenever a tort sees another eating, what it is eating is a thousand times more interesting than any other food in the area for some reason and they often seen to obsess over getting THAT piece of food.

Unless things get more aggressive it is not usually a big deal.

You make a good point Madkins. I guess I should have though of them like my dogs, because every night I feed them they end up switching bowls five times!

And I think my enclosure is plenty big enough, and they're are two different hides and sure enough they both sleep separately.

nicoleandrocky said:
Momof4 said:
Two is never enough:) :)

:D:D:D:D:D:tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

So by counting up your tortoise icons you want me to get 4 red foots? :D

ascott said:
Redfoot tortoise...along with any other tortoise can and do bully when they are in pairs...and while you don't know what sex they are, they do :D

The two feeding station suggestion is a great thing to try....however if you observe one not as active, not moving around as freely, sleeping alot more but the other is thriving then you may end up needing two enclosures.....I have two Redfoot here and one of them absolutely was bullied....toes bite off...bite marks on the legs and eyes closed--it took two enclosures and five months before the weaker one began to act like a tortoise.....

There are some tortoise that are less prone to bullying...but pairs can change that dynamic....

I totally hope the change at feeding time will correct all for them...:D

Oh man I really hope it doesn't get this bad. The one that did the "alleged" bullying yesterday was actually the smaller of the two.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.