Redfoot Diet/Humidity??

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilygj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Hi, I am the new owner of a redfoot tortoise. He (or she) is about 4"
I have had my little guy for one week, and I still can't get him to take more than one bite of his food- I have offered him melon, lettuce, kale, endive, strawberries, etc.

I just rearranged his enclosure with some plants, in the plastic tubs they came in- now it seems like he is trying to eat the plastic! Is he really trying to eat it or does this biting serve another purpose? I got a Club Moss and a Spider Plant, he took a few bites out of the spider plant... from what i've read, this doesn't seem like it should hurt him, but does anyone have experience with their red foots eating/trying to eat either of these things? (the plastic tubs, or spider plant?)

I am also wondering if anyone knows a good warm mist humidifier for Red Foot's enclosures?

Thanks for your help!

-Emily

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Torts just bite things...Can't explain to you why :). The spider plant won't hurt him, and as long as he's eating some food, he'll be fine.

I've heard bad things about warm mist humidifiers. I've heard of tails of the hot mist burning reptiles. Stick with cool mist.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can try to cut food up smaller and the temperature of the enclosure needs to be right or they will not eat zoo med makes a humidifier you can get from petco or on line for more info on care tips look at redfoot tortoise. Com or turtleterry.com

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
In the past week, I've had my torts try to eat my pajama pants and my blanket. I don't know why but those guys just like biting stuff. It's mostly cute, unless they've aiming for a finger :)

I wouldn't be too worried about it not eating much if you've only had it for a week. Moving can be a big stressor for tortoises so he may lose his appetite for a bit. My leopard tort was like this for a week or two... only eating a couple bites a day. But when she got comfortable she got hungry in a big way. Now she chomps everything in sight.

If you're still worried, try giving him some guilty pleasures. Strawberry, banana, or my fav, Mazuri. Don't give them too much fruit though... I like to give a little as a treat once a week (banana less frequently. They can get addicted).

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Mgridgaway said:
In the past week, I've had my torts try to eat my pajama pants and my blanket. I don't know why but those guys just like biting stuff. It's mostly cute, unless they've aiming for a finger :)

I wouldn't be too worried about it not eating much if you've only had it for a week. Moving can be a big stressor for tortoises so he may lose his appetite for a bit. My leopard tort was like this for a week or two... only eating a couple bites a day. But when she got comfortable she got hungry in a big way. Now she chomps everything in sight.

If you're still worried, try giving him some guilty pleasures. Strawberry, banana, or my fav, Mazuri. Don't give them too much fruit though... I like to give a little as a treat once a week (banana less frequently. They can get addicted).
Fruit should consist of 30-40% their diet. In the wild during rainy season, they ea p to 70% fruit in their diet.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
FLINTUS said:
Fruit should consist of 30-40% their diet. In the wild during rainy season, they ea p to 70% fruit in their diet.

This is true in the wild. But redfoots aren't eating the bred-for-sugar-content varieties of fruit we eat; they're eating wild fruit that's often tart and low in sugar.

If you can provide this kind of fruit then I suppose it would make sense. But I can't; nay, most people can't. And besides, redfoots love fruit, in part, because of its high caloric nature. In captivity, this can lead to overeating and chubby tortoises since we're already feeding them a good diet.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Mgridgaway said:
FLINTUS said:

This is true in the wild. But redfoots aren't eating the bred-for-sugar-content varieties of fruit we eat; they're eating wild fruit that's often tart and low in sugar.

If you can provide this kind of fruit then I suppose it would make sense. But I can't; nay, most people can't. And besides, redfoots love fruit, in part, because of its high caloric nature. In captivity, this can lead to overeating and chubby tortoises since we're already feeding them a good diet.
To a certain extent yes, but then again I try to get lower sugar content fruit. Mine don't seem to get addicted to it, quite happy to eat their weeds and flowers. Obviously I would never feed a majority fruit diet, but all the keepers I know personally here feed at least 30%.

Oh, by the way they never refuse mushrooms. Try to get some of the stronger smelling stuff like the wild ones from farmshops, or microwave the mushrooms, cut open and leave to cool. The strong smell seems to attract them.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
They are such curious little creatures. Mine is 5-7 years old and still bites at things. I think its just what they do. Just keep offering a variety of foods, he will eventually start eating good for you. Try to add some mazuri or zoomed grassland tortoise food. They both are good additions...

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Mgridgaway said:
FLINTUS said:

I always feed large amounts of fruit. I tell most owners 30-40%. Fruits should consist of figs, plums, peaches, apples, grapes, kiwis, cantaloupe, papaya, strawberry, blackberry...etc...
I hear a lot how red foots eat those low-sugar, low-moisture foods. Its right up there with "red foots hate the sunlight!" in myths :(.
Two things I want to point out. All I do is research wild-diet studys to see what they eat, to better design my torts diet...Guess what the two most common eaten fruits are. Figs and passion fruit. Two VERY HIGH sugar content foods. The passion fruit, with the little berry/seed things (whatever you want to call them) inside, they are basically sugar packets. This seems to circulate that they eat all of these low-sugar, low-moisture foods....With one or two foods, thats true. With the rest, its a mirror image. That theory holds firm until you take a look at what they eat in the wild.....
Now, I do agree with you, your torts MIGHT get a little chubbier....For the last 3 years, I've been doing the high-fruit diet I've described, and my torts have not gained any large amount of weight. (Now, of course, they need a large pen to roam for excersice, but that should be provided anyhow).
So, for the most part, its a myth. I just thought I'd explain it to you. Research it for yourself a little bit more, and see what you find. I always encourage owners to add more fruit, because I feel like its all the closer we can get to the wild.
(Any before I'm accused, I'm not trying to start an argument...)

Status
Not open for further replies.