My Redfoot's indoor pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaceclown

5 Year Member
Here are some picks of my indoor pen. It's basically 3 sheets of plexiglas. One on bottom and one of each side long ways with a wood frame. Plus 2 pieces of wood one on each end holding it together. I used non toxic caulk to seal the tank on the sides and bottom. I have 2 sheets of plexiglass on top to hold in moisture and allow UV light in. There is a wire mesh on the center top to allow air and heat in plus to prevent things from falling in the tank. I made it from an old top for a reptile cage I had my tort previously in. I have a florescent 7% UVB light in the center and a 65 watt heat lamp hanging over the wire mesh top. The back plexi has a fish tank backdrop on the outside i got at the pet store. Yes that's a dog toy in there (green tire). She loves climbing on it. I use filtered water from my fridge to mist the tank a couple times a day and give her clean water. The plant is fake. :( I'm going to be adding real plants soon to hold in more moisture. Please leave me some feedback.

FYI. This is just her inside tank. I put some picks of my outside pen in another thread. :) that's where she spends most of her time.

Attachments

• image-2002585105.png
    image-2002585105.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image-3434368987.png
    image-3434368987.png
    920.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3541330081.png
    image-3541330081.png
    880.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3537690093.png
    image-3537690093.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3189298295.png
    image-3189298295.png
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • image-2426669321.png
    image-2426669321.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 96

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
It looks beautiful. The only problem is the UVB flourescent is too high up to do any good. And it also looks as if it is covered by plexiglass or plastic. UVB rays will not go through plexiglass, glass, or plastic.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very nice....I also noticed that the uvb long tube light seems high...but this could just be the pic....how many inches from the soil to the uvb light? And if it were me I would use a screen that has larger square openings than what I see....

But I absolutely love the enclosure...very nice job....:D

spaceclown

5 Year Member
The UV light is about 17 inches from the top layer of substrate. The heat lamp is 13 inches from the substrate. I did forget to mention that I have a reptile heat pad under the tank in the middle. The same area of the heat lamp. Both keep my tank at 80 to 85 directly under the lamp for basking. Since my tank is so small I only provided one real hot area and the rest is warm or cool by comparison. It is my practice to not heat hide boxes or food or water areas.

As for UV penetration. I do know that the plexiglass (lexan) that I have doesn't block any UV, according to its label. The plastic over the light itself I assume doesn't block any UV since It is designed for UV light. I think there might be some scattering of UV but not blockage. The bulb I'm using is for desert and since my Red-foot is a forest tortoise I assume the amount of UV would be sufficient. I will get UV meter and measure and post the result.

This is her inside tank and she doesn't spend all day in it. Just till it warms up outside in the mornings or the sun starts to set then I bring her in for the night.

Thank You all for the input. I just want to do what's best for my little Red-foot.

Here is my outside pen where she spends 80% of the day. :)

Attachments

• image-245415653.png
    image-245415653.png
    1 MB · Views: 68

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You are supposed to remove that plastic cover that came over the uvb light. I believe plexiglass of any kind is going to block the amount of UVB your tortoise is receiving. Nothing should be between the light and the enclosure.

However, if she is spending lots of time outdoors it really doesn't matter as she is already getting all the UVB she needs. But for future reference.....no plexiglass or plastic.

spaceclown

5 Year Member
Update: I did remove the cover from my UVB light. I ALS replaced my bulb too. I got a UVB meter and measured the UVB. Here is what I found. The new bulb is a Zilla T8 Desert 50. At the bulb itself I'm reading 8642 uW/cm2, At the substrate which is 18 inches away I reading 139 uW/cm2 through the wire screen. Without the screen at the substrate I'm reading 198 uW/cm2. All that being said. What is the proper amount of UVB (
uW/cm2) for a Red-foot?

I have added a couple of plants too. Here's an updated pic..

Attachments

• image-1104065619.png
    image-1104065619.png
    833.8 KB · Views: 49

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's amazing how much nicer any enclosure looks with plants added! I like the wide variety of plants in her outside environment. What all do you have in there?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think both your enclosures are fantastic! Since she spends so much time outside, I wouldn't worry about the UVB inside much. Some people don't use it at all. Your outside garden is beautiful with all the plants too.

spaceclown

5 Year Member
I do have another thread for my outside enclosure. I don't know how to post the URL since I'm using my iPad. You can check my profile though for a link. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.