My RT doesn't seem to like soaking

Hawaiifornia

Location (City and/or State)
NorCal
Hi there,

After reading some posts that recommend soaking, I've tried soaking Squirtle in a bath for 20-30 mins. The thing is I don't think she likes it, and she may even hate it. She keeps trying to climb out, she bangs her nose against the side of the soaking pan, she bobs her head up and down, and she stiffens her back legs so her butt goes up and her nose is almost under the water. I was afraid she was going to drown herself so I took out most of the water til the water level was just barely covering her feet, but she still continued to act this way. I had her heating lamp over her so she wouldn't get cold, but I thought it may not have been enough so I put a heating pad under the pan, as well. Nothing seemed to calm her down, until I took her out of the water. It was like night and day. After I patted her down with a towel, she just sat on my lap and didn't move for a good 5 mins.

Is this normal behavior because she hasn't experienced that sensation yet? Should I refrain from soaking her so as to not stress her out, or do I continue the bath times and force her to get used to it? I feel so bad and I don't want her or make her afraid of me.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hi there,

After reading some posts that recommend soaking, I've tried soaking Squirtle in a bath for 20-30 mins. The thing is I don't think she likes it, and she may even hate it. She keeps trying to climb out, she bangs her nose against the side of the soaking pan, she bobs her head up and down, and she stiffens her back legs so her butt goes up and her nose is almost under the water. I was afraid she was going to drown herself so I took out most of the water til the water level was just barely covering her feet, but she still continued to act this way. I had her heating lamp over her so she wouldn't get cold, but I thought it may not have been enough so I put a heating pad under the pan, as well. Nothing seemed to calm her down, until I took her out of the water. It was like night and day. After I patted her down with a towel, she just sat on my lap and didn't move for a good 5 mins.

Is this normal behavior because she hasn't experienced that sensation yet? Should I refrain from soaking her so as to not stress her out, or do I continue the bath times and force her to get used to it? I feel so bad and I don't want her or make her afraid of me.
Hello, I ran into the same problem you're having now. I created a thread very similar to this a few months ago. My tortoise acted the same way, as soon as his little feet hit the water it was as if I was dropping him in a deep fryer. I think I went through some of the same emotions you're feeling now, I was afraid I was hurting him, stressing him out and doing more harm than good. Soaking your tortoise is GOOD., I usually try to have the water up to where the plastron meets the carapace. I try to keep the water between 90 and 95 degrees. One piece of advice that I got that really helped, was to soak first thing in the morning. That way your tortoise hasn't fully warmed up yet. I put him in his soaking container and place him underneath is basking light first thing in the morning and he started taking to it right away. I usually soak for 20 to 30 minutes daily. A very wise person on this forum put it into perspective for me. He worded it to me as if your kids don't want to go to bed because they hate it, we still make them because it is good for them. This was Sheldon, who also hated soaking actually enjoying himself when I followed the advice of doing it in the morning under the basking light. I hope this helps, and I'm sure you'll get some more advice from other members soon.20171203_092533.jpg

Hawaiifornia

NorCal
Thank you so much for explaining that, Jay Baylee, and thank you too, TechnoCheese, for confirming! I feel a little better knowing that someone else has experienced this, and it's not just me making Squirtle feel like I'm trying to kill her :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian tortoises seem to be the worst about this. Some of them act like you've dropped them into acid. I like Jay's deep fryer analogy too!

Here are my main points on the subject:
  • Many of them don't like it… AT FIRST.
  • ALL of them get used to it eventually, and most seem to enjoy, or at least accept it as normal.
  • It is very good for their health and well-being.
  • If they are already hydrated and don't need a soak, it does no harm.
  • All that frantic exercise is good for a captive tortoise that can't walk miles a day in open habitat. I call it "walking on their treadmill".
  • Not soaking a tortoise because they react this way initially can lead to health problems and death in some cases.
I bought 20 russian babies a few years ago. Here is soaking time:
IMG_2776.JPG

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If I have not already said so, welcome to the forum!

I soak my outdoor tort in a similar manner to what Jay Bagley described: in the morning when they are less active. She does get frantic about it if she’s already up and about.

That said, she is a healthy adult built for a very dry climate, who gets plenty of exercise as she lives outdoors. I don’t think daily soaking hurts but I also don’t think it’s needed. I soak once a week, primarily to look her over. That’s mainly for my peace of mind; it’s not particularly dry where we live and she is getting plenty of moisture in her food. She passes water on a regular basis so she’s not “saving” it as a wild tortoise might do.

Soaking when they are active may be good exercise for a tortoise in a smaller indoor enclosure. Since my tortoise now is completely chill in the bath for ten minutes, she’s not getting exercise from it. I don’t know from your earlier posts if Squirtle still has regular access to a safe outdoor enclosure? She may be getting plenty of exercise.

I absolutely agree with soaking babies. For a new owner, with a new adult tortoise, I would also suggest daily soaks for a while. They often come to us from far too dry and unhealthy circumstances, yours surely did as she is from a pet store. Long term I don’t think they are critical. It’s true they do no harm. But they do take up a resource: your time, and there is no clear benefit to healthy, adult and active tortoises.

Do whatever feels right for you; just be aware that not all owners feel the same way about long-term soaking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I have not already said so, welcome to the forum!

I soak my outdoor tort in a similar manner to what Jay Bagley described: in the morning when they are less active. She does get frantic about it if she’s already up and about.

That said, she is a healthy adult built for a very dry climate, who gets plenty of exercise as she lives outdoors. I don’t think daily soaking hurts but I also don’t think it’s needed. I soak once a week, primarily to look her over. That’s mainly for my peace of mind; it’s not particularly dry where we live and she is getting plenty of moisture in her food. She passes water on a regular basis so she’s not “saving” it as a wild tortoise might do.

Soaking when they are active may be good exercise for a tortoise in a smaller indoor enclosure. Since my tortoise now is completely chill in the bath for ten minutes, she’s not getting exercise from it. I don’t know from your earlier posts if Squirtle still has regular access to a safe outdoor enclosure? She may be getting plenty of exercise.

I absolutely agree with soaking babies. For a new owner, with a new adult tortoise, I would also suggest daily soaks for a while. They often come to us from far too dry and unhealthy circumstances, yours surely did as she is from a pet store. Long term I don’t think they are critical. It’s true they do no harm. But they do take up a resource: your time, and there is no clear benefit to healthy, adult and active tortoises.

Do whatever feels right for you; just be aware that not all owners feel the same way about long-term soaking.
I think we agree on soaking intervals. I like:
  • Daily for babies under 100 grams. After that I start skipping days.
  • I think once a week is plenty for an adult in a milder climate with moderate humidity and access to drinking water.
  • I like twice a week for adults in summer time in a hot dry climate like mine.

Hawaiifornia

NorCal
Thanks again, Tom, and thank you too, Rosemary. Today's bath was much, MUCH more chill, and it didn't happen until 4PM. I made her bath water A LOT warmer this time, and set up her bath in a sunny spot next to the deck. When put her into her bath today, she just sat in one place, then she lowered her head down a bit and opened/closed her mouth in the water a few times (drinking the water?). I kept replacing the cooler bath water with new warm water, and she was good the entire 30 mins (YAY!!), until she pooped in the water. I took that as an indication that bath time was over. haha

After I patted her down with a towel and put her back in her "bedroom", she headed straight to her hide and fell asleep :<3:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Totally agree with everyone here. My babies hated their bath at the beginning as well and causing them such distress made me feel very bady. They got over that frantic „lemme outa here!!!” and started to seemingly enjoy their bath time. They are almost 3 yrs old now and their bath is their daily treat before supper. I keep their bath water at least 95F (no higher than 105F, temp gun is always by their bath tub), after 20-30 min temp gun reads 85-86 at their backs and they usually get to eat their supper with great enthusiasm. This summer I’m hoping to complete the works on their Tortoise Garden with building them nice heated lock box, as well as couple of some water features (wading pools or such), plus have the mister that I’ll run several times a day. At that point I think I’ll feel better about cutting back on soaking frequency, but for now, I don’t mind and kinda like that daily routine during which like Rosemary, I also get a chance to closely inspect their bodies, check for issues (scratches, or insects, or any other problems).IMG_2020.jpg these are my Two, who always go to sit in the deeper end of the tub where water reaches to almost ½ way of their sides, and they have to stick their heads up to keep their nostrils above water. IMG_7304.jpg I used to put some of their favorite snacks in the tub during a bath trying to bribe them by creating some positive associations. IMG_7791.jpg or freshly cut grape vine branches, oh they love to wade in those!IMG_7783.jpg or a special treat of freshly pick hibiscus flower from their garden. Anyway, this has been my experience. The take away is: 1) it does get better , 2) it’s good for them, 3) we all in time find our own ways of doing things the way it works for us and our torts, 4) most of all- ENJOY your wonderful special shelled friend!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
So happy you're soaking experience went so much better this time. It's got to be a load off your mind to see your little tortoise in a much more relaxed state. Once I figured out it's more of a mental thing on my part, I'm happy to see my tortoise relaxed. But I'm also happy to see him when he isn't as relaxed because then I know he is getting a workout lol.

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
When put her into her bath today, she just sat in one place, then she lowered her head down a bit and opened/closed her mouth in the water a few times (drinking the water?)

Yes, drinking. It can be pretty subtle.

At thirty minutes it sounds like she was definitely in need of a good soak!

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I agree they will always get used to it with a repetitive routine. All that peddling and moving they do is vital in my opinion, I mean look how healthy swimming is for human beings. Plus the hydration benefits. Sounds to me like you have it in hand, just make sure they can't drown and keep a schedule and all should be fine.