IS MY RT ILL?

cheerios586

Location (City and/or State)
Graham, Washington
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a long while and only a few times, been reading actually :) Any way, my RT is worrying me, she's just about 6'ish in age (don't know exactly as we bought her at PetSmart over a year ago, so just guessing age). I normally care for her, have ever since we brought her home; however, 2 months ago I went on vacation, leaving her in very capable hands of my husband for the month I was gone. He did everything I did before, he reported even to me on how well she was doing and what and when he was feeding her, bathing her, keeping her enclosure semi-moist and clean, while I was gone she will even rest her head on his index finger while he carried her to her bath water. Everything seems perfect.

Now! I've resumed care of her. Been home for one month and in this time she seems to sleep 22 hours a day in her cave or her house. She wakes up for about 2 hours to bath under her lamp, nibbles a bit (eating half of normal) and goes back to her hiddy.

Is she ill?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheryl

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

Have you double checked the temperatures in the enclosure? Has it got hotter or cooler in there than you think it is?

While your tort seems out of sorts do soak her for at least 30 minutes in warm water every morning

What are you using for UVB? Some bulbs (CFL compact bulbs) are of a type that can hurt tort eyes and make them hide away.

Last edited:

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Hi

Have you double checked the temperatures in the enclosure? Has it got hotter or cooler in there than you think it is?

While your tort seems out of sorts do soak her for at least 30 minutes in warm water every morning

What are you using for UVB? Some bulbs (CFL compact bulbs) are of a type that can hurt tort eyes and make them hide away.

Temp ranges between 65 on the cold end and 82'ish under the heat on the warm end. I've been soaking every other day for weeks; will go to everyday. I've been only doing it for about 15-20 min per bath because water starts to get too cool. The UVB I use looks like a fluorescent light and was just changed. She also gets vitamin D3 added to her food. She is completely indoors (in her pen or bath), too cold for outside, yet. This behavior has been since I've been home as far as I know, hubby was at work all day so seen her up in the mornings only. She's a bit on the heavy side, I think, but food is free. I mix up her food variety as often as I can, mixed greens, collards, kale, etc. She also has dandelion mix turtle food I keep out she will nibble on it. Fresh water every day but prefers to drink from bath water.

Attachments

• 20180607_130308_001.jpg
    20180607_130308_001.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is your UVB that long fitting at the back? If so that's great :)

You shouldn't need to add Vitamin D to your tort's diet. Many species have poor uptake through food ; they make their own on exposure to UVB light (as do you coincidentally)

A tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food 3 times a week os all that's needed. Not too much as you can overdo it and start stones in the urinary tract

It must be 35-37C (95-100F) directly under the basking lamp. What temperature do you have?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Is your UVB that long fitting at the back? If so that's great :)

You shouldn't need to add Vitamin D to your tort's diet. Many species have poor uptake through food ; they make their own on exposure to UVB light (as do you coincidentally)

A tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food 3 times a week os all that's needed. Not too much as you can overdo it and start stones in the urinary tract

It must be 35-37C (95-100F) directly under the basking lamp. What temperature do you have?
The Vitamin D3 is actually Calcium with vitamin D3 which I give a pinch and a half weekly (every Saturday). The temp is exactly 70.4 degrees and 82.4 degrees, respectively.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I asked about the basking temperature. Your tort must be able to bask at 95-100F in order to raise its internal temperature and thus be active, eat and digest food.

What temperature do you have there?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
I asked about the basking temperature. Your tort must be able to bask at 95-100F in order to raise its internal temperature and thus be active, eat and digest food.

What temperature do you have there?
I told you 84.2 degrees, so I turned on the other lamp so it gets warmer. Will monitor temp

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's not warm enough then. You need to lower the lamp towards the substrate and get that up to 95-100F

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Yes that's fine

There are 4 important temperatures:

Warm aide, cool side, directly under the basking lamp (that's the 95-100F) and overnight minimum

The first 3 are best measured with a temperature gun like this

https://www.amazon.com/HOLDPEAK-Non-Contact-Thermometer-Temperature-Instant-read/dp/B019TRGYW2/ref=sr_1_7?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1528404463&sr=8-7&keywords=temperature+gun&refinements=p_85:2470955011
Yes, that is the gun I use to measure temp. It's called TempGun Infrared Thermometer

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Other than temp issues it could simply be boredom is the surroundings....take her out of the enclosure and put her somewhere she isn't used to being and watch her so she doesn't escape. Mine get lethargic like that sometimes but perk right up when I let them explore. I swear when it comes to curiosity I think Russians are worse than cats.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Other than temp issues it could simply be boredom is the surroundings....take her out of the enclosure and put her somewhere she isn't used to being and watch her so she doesn't escape. Mine get lethargic like that sometimes but perk right up when I let them explore. I swear when it comes to curiosity I think Russians are worse than cats.

No. No. No.

Do not let your tort roam outside it’s enclosure.

Ever.

Outside the enclosure it is away from the heat, humidity and UVB it needs to be healthy. Take a temperature gun to your floor and you realise how cold it is down there for starters.

Roaming free gives it the opportunity to
- escape
- be trodden on
- eat or accidentally ingest something it shouldn’t ( hair and dust bunnies can cause gut blockages... and they’re attracted to bright coloured objects thinking they’re food)

We see all the above far too frequently on TFO... people who were only distracted for a moment.

The way to have a happy and healthy tort and to enrich your tort’s life is to have a properly set up enclosure that is large enough for its needs.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a long while and only a few times, been reading actually :) Any way, my RT is worrying me, she's just about 6'ish in age (don't know exactly as we bought her at PetSmart over a year ago, so just guessing age). I normally care for her, have ever since we brought her home; however, 2 months ago I went on vacation, leaving her in very capable hands of my husband for the month I was gone. He did everything I did before, he reported even to me on how well she was doing and what and when he was feeding her, bathing her, keeping her enclosure semi-moist and clean, while I was gone she will even rest her head on his index finger while he carried her to her bath water. Everything seems perfect.

Now! I've resumed care of her. Been home for one month and in this time she seems to sleep 22 hours a day in her cave or her house. She wakes up for about 2 hours to bath under her lamp, nibbles a bit (eating half of normal) and goes back to her hiddy.

Is she ill?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheryl

Does your Tort have any outside time in a secure enclosure? I’m not sure what your weather is like there you are?
I must say my Russian is absolutely thriving since being given outside time daily (if the weather allows) I had him for a 6 weeks he was quite lethargic and ate sparingly. He had weighed 53g for 6 weeks.
Since going outside I cannot tell you what a difference I have seen in him, must more alert and exploring and eating a TON, I’m refilling the plate twice sometimes 3 times per day, where previously he wouldn’t clear a single plate. I weighed him and he’s now 60g!
I stuck to the rule of 1hr per inch of shell, but I’m stretching it slightly and it’s working for me.
After outside time he comes in for a long soak back into the humid closed chamber.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Sorry forgot to add;

As Joesmum said please don’t let your tort roam your house.
Outside enclosures can be made or bought for very cheap. I’m using a 3ft kiddie pool which cost me £9.99 in the U.K.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
No. No. No.

Do not let your tort roam outside it’s enclosure.

Ever.

Outside the enclosure it is away from the heat, humidity and UVB it needs to be healthy. Take a temperature gun to your floor and you realise how cold it is down there for starters.

Roaming free gives it the opportunity to
- escape
- be trodden on
- eat or accidentally ingest something it shouldn’t ( hair and dust bunnies can cause gut blockages... and they’re attracted to bright coloured objects thinking they’re food)

We see all the above far too frequently on TFO... people who were only distracted for a moment.

The way to have a happy and healthy tort and to enrich your tort’s life is to have a properly set up enclosure that is large enough for its needs.

And what happens when your enclosure IS large enough? They like to explore...and when they get bored of the enclosure they sometimes get lethargic. Mine never roam the house (not intentionally, they have escaped during cleaning before) I let them roam my yard, under step by step following them supervision.

It is no risk if there is only grass around and you watch them like a hawk.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And what happens when your enclosure IS large enough? They like to explore...and when they get bored of the enclosure they sometimes get lethargic. Mine never roam the house (not intentionally, they have escaped during cleaning before) I let them roam my yard, under step by step following them supervision.

It is no risk if there is only grass around and you watch them like a hawk.

Large enough for a Russian is miles. My Greek had our entire garden secured for his use. You can make a smaller enclosure seem bigger to a tort by breaking up sight lines with plants and decor. There’s a reason we recommend 4’x8’ as a minimum enclosure size.

You let your tort roam free at your own risk ... and that of your tort. The risk is high and not one people should be taking

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Large enough for a Russian is miles. My Greek had our entire garden secured for his use. You can make a smaller enclosure seem bigger to a tort by breaking up sight lines with plants and decor. There’s a reason we recommend 4’x8’ as a minimum enclosure size.

You let your tort roam free at your own risk ... and that of your tort. The risk is high and not one people should be taking

I agree to a point with you...it is a risk newer owners shouldn't take. People like me know better than to take our eyes off a Russian even for an instant when free and to scoop them up before diverting attention.

I don't (yet) have an outdoor enclosure...and 4x8 is already enormous in my house. It winds up being a prison for them, I mean even convicts get let out into the yard right? I alternate between letting them roam under supervision and using a large mesh wire cage for when I am not watching them, which allows them to bask in natural sunlight after eating and protects from predators also.