HOW OLD IS MY RT

cheerios586

Location (City and/or State)
Graham, Washington
Hi,

Yoshi was purchased from a pet store and they hadn't a clue as to her age. The vet hasn't a clue, says it would be hard to determine.

Is there a way of telling a good approximation of the age of my tort? Is it like a tree and you just count the rings? lol When she gets up from her nap I'll measure her and weigh her, I know she's over 1 pound and seems to be approximately 4" w x 6" L, but that is just a guess.

Also, how big will she get at full-grown? How old is full-grown?

Thank a bunch!

Cheryl

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hi,

Yoshi was purchased from a pet store and they hadn't a clue as to her age. The vet hasn't a clue, says it would be hard to determine.

Is there a way of telling a good approximation of the age of my tort? Is it like a tree and you just count the rings? lol When she gets up from her nap I'll measure her and weigh her, I know she's over 1 pound and seems to be approximately 4" w x 6" L, but that is just a guess.

Also, how big will she get at full-grown? How old is full-grown?

Thank a bunch!

Cheryl

You can’t really tell the exact age of a tortoise, but when you got it from the pet store, it was likely wild caught and 5-10 years old. You definitely have an adult, but I don’t own russians, so I’m not sure at the full grown part. But, I would imagine that it’s different for every tort :)