My Russain Tortoise Rupert

julicolon

Location (City and/or State)
EVANSTON
Hello everyone. I am looking for some advice. I have a Russian, male tortoise who we have had since he was about 1 or 2 years old. He is now about 10 years old. He has always been in perfect health and a happy boy. He is very fussy with eating and only will eat Romaine lettuce and kiwi fruit. Trust me we have tried to get him to eat new stuff but he just refuses. Rupert does not hibernate and usually gets a bit slower in the winter months. I am in Chicago so it does get very cold.

We noticed that the shell part under his beak is getting wider which is preventing him from being able to bring his head out. He can move to the side and his head can come out. We have an appointment at the Vet Tuesday for them to trim it.

I am more worried about his behaviour. For the past couple of days he is going to his bowl and standing there but is not eating anything. He has been under his log and does not come out to sun himself like he normally does. He seems very lethargic and not his normal feisty self.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hello everyone. I am looking for some advice. I have a Russian, male tortoise who we have had since he was about 1 or 2 years old. He is now about 10 years old. He has always been in perfect health and a happy boy. He is very fussy with eating and only will eat Romaine lettuce and kiwi fruit. Trust me we have tried to get him to eat new stuff but he just refuses. Rupert does not hibernate and usually gets a bit slower in the winter months. I am in Chicago so it does get very cold.

We noticed that the shell part under his beak is getting wider which is preventing him from being able to bring his head out. He can move to the side and his head can come out. We have an appointment at the Vet Tuesday for them to trim it.

I am more worried about his behaviour. For the past couple of days he is going to his bowl and standing there but is not eating anything. He has been under his log and does not come out to sun himself like he normally does. He seems very lethargic and not his normal feisty self.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Welcome and photos please so we may help.

julicolon

EVANSTON
Here are some pics of Rupert. Thanks

Attachments

• F5F1F9B1-7096-407B-A645-8FD169BFE72B.jpeg
    F5F1F9B1-7096-407B-A645-8FD169BFE72B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 18597F83-83DB-45D0-B241-AC90F2D5D63A.jpeg
    18597F83-83DB-45D0-B241-AC90F2D5D63A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 817970ED-17B3-4BCC-B1C6-3AAF77544F5C.jpeg
    817970ED-17B3-4BCC-B1C6-3AAF77544F5C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 1515A94C-0042-460A-A79C-19F3A4C227E3.jpeg
    1515A94C-0042-460A-A79C-19F3A4C227E3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 79FB5D5A-B539-4F5D-91FA-5633D0736CE2.jpeg
    79FB5D5A-B539-4F5D-91FA-5633D0736CE2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hi, there is nothing wrong with rupert or his shell, but you need to get his beak trimmed asap, it is severely overgrown.

Can you show us a picture with his head out please, both sides of his head would be usefull.

julicolon

EVANSTON
Hi, there is nothing wrong with rupert or his shell, but you need to get his beak trimmed asap, it is severely overgrown.

Can you show us a picture with his head out please, both sides of his head would be usefull.

Attachments

• C7265168-35BB-4BF2-8A49-2F6E619BB9FD.jpeg
    C7265168-35BB-4BF2-8A49-2F6E619BB9FD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

julicolon

EVANSTON
It’s definitely his beak. It’s curled under so he can’t get to the lettuce. Vet is on Tuesday so he will be fine after that. How often should you trim his beak?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It’s definitely his beak. It’s curled under so he can’t get to the lettuce. Vet is on Tuesday so he will be fine after that. How often should you trim his beak?

whenever it is needed, this can vary depending on the conditions the tort lives in.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I hope Rupert will be better after his visit to the vet.
This is an up to date caresheet you'll find useful

You really should persevere with introducing new foods because he is missing out on a lot of nutrients etc that he needs for a long healthy life and fruit is not good for torts unless they are a fruit eating species which Russians aren't; their systems can't deal with sugars and could be doing hidden damage long term.

Continue with the romaine he likes and cut up new food to mix in Gradually add more of the new foods. He may refuse it at first but a hungry tort will eat. Lambs lettuce is a good food to start with and has small leaves that will easily stick to other wet leaves.

The dandelions and other weeds will soon be back - www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants.

julicolon

EVANSTON
Hi and welcome,
I hope Rupert will be better after his visit to the vet.
This is an up to date caresheet you'll find useful

You really should persevere with introducing new foods because he is missing out on a lot of nutrients etc that he needs for a long healthy life and fruit is not good for torts unless they are a fruit eating species which Russians aren't; their systems can't deal with sugars and could be doing hidden damage long term.

Continue with the romaine he likes and cut up new food to mix in Gradually add more of the new foods. He may refuse it at first but a hungry tort will eat. Lambs lettuce is a good food to start with and has small leaves that will easily stick to other wet leaves.

The dandelions and other weeds will soon be back - www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants.
Thank you for the advice! I will keep up with feeding him new food and stop with the kiwi fruit. Tomorrow i know he will feel better. Poor baby boy is trying to eat!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
How did Ruperts beak trim go? any update pics for us?

julicolon

EVANSTON
Hi. Rupert is doing great! Thank you. He is back to his normal self. They clipped his back nails and told me to look into new lighting. That will be my next area to research. I have a UVB lamp and a heat lamp right now.

Attachments

• 28A794C0-3AA6-408A-A420-D29E1275D3C2.jpeg
    28A794C0-3AA6-408A-A420-D29E1275D3C2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 4A893B71-B979-45C7-95C3-FB01699838CA.jpeg
    4A893B71-B979-45C7-95C3-FB01699838CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi. Rupert is doing great! Thank you. He is back to his normal self. They clipped his back nails and told me to look into new lighting. That will be my next area to research. I have a UVB lamp and a heat lamp right now.
I'm glad he is doing well.
Didn't they do his beak?
If you post some pics of the lamps you are using members can help you make sure they are the the most suitable and safest.

julicolon

EVANSTON
I'm glad he is doing well.
Didn't they do his beak?
If you post some pics of the lamps you are using members can help you make sure they are the the most suitable and safest.
Yes sorry I should have said they did trim his beak as well. He looks so much better and is happy! Great I will post pics later

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales

Are these old pics? I hope so, his beak does not appear to have been trimmed, if it has been, they left it way too long.

julicolon

EVANSTON
The pi
Are these old pics? I hope so, his beak does not appear to have been trimmed, if it has been, they left it way too long.
the pics I just posted are new pictures. I see a big difference in his beak from what it was. It is more in line with his bottom part of mouth. Should they have taken more off?

Attachments

• F559D7D4-A011-4D7E-8B45-6494CFEFBBCE.jpeg
    F559D7D4-A011-4D7E-8B45-6494CFEFBBCE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
The pi

the pics I just posted are new pictures. I see a big difference in his beak from what it was. It is more in line with his bottom part of mouth. Should they have taken more off?
It certainly is an improvement, but it is still too long. Did the vet discuss a follow up appointment to grind it down more?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
It’s an improvement, but definitely more should be taken off. It is still quite overgrown. Was the vets plan maybe to do it in stages and there’s another appointment booked?