My tortoise not moving around alot

Anaheim Buck

5 Year Member
Hello -- First time post :) We have had our desert tortoise for probably 15 years now. He has been very healthy all along. We have noticed this year that he is not out and about in our yard like normal. We does come out of his hole and sun in the morning and afternoon but as far as we can tell does not move around the yard like normal. We give him some flowers/vegies/romaine in the morning and it is gone so he does eat. Any ideas on what might be wrong? It has been pretty hot the last week but still he should come out in the morning. Thanks,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He might just need a nice long drink. Some desert tortoises will only drink from running water, so I lay the hose on the ground in front of them with the water turned on just a little. Others will drink out of a saucer or drinker. You can try putting your tortoise into a small tub of water and see if he'd like a drink.

Anaheim Buck

5 Year Member
Thank you for your response. I will try that, we did give him a long soak when he came out of hibernation, but it has been pretty hot and dry here in So. Calif. so maybe that will work. :tort: