My russian tortoise only eats brocolli!!!

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
hi again! did you see my question about a more affordable uvb light? we dont have a lot of extra cash at the moment but i want to do what i can since she hasn’t been upgraded in a while
Right now, the best and cheapest UVB light is the natural sunlight. Temperatures allow. If you don't have any area outdoors safe for the tortoise, you can bring it out in a box with some substrate (or even without it) in a shaded area, under your supervision. 30 minutes is okay and you can soak it at the same time. Avoid leaving it in a direct sunlight. The best time is around 10-11AM (check your weather forecast when UV index is 4-5). 2-3 hours a week is usually enough.

Vanillukit

Appleton WI
Right now, the best and cheapest UVB light is the natural sunlight. Temperatures allow. If you don't have any area outdoors safe for the tortoise, you can bring it out in a box with some substrate (or even without it) in a shaded area, under your supervision. 30 minutes is okay and you can soak it at the same time. Avoid leaving it in a direct sunlight. The best time is around 10-11AM (check your weather forecast when UV index is 4-5). 2-3 hours a week is usually enough.
thanks! i already have a uvb light i was just curious if there was any recommendations! i’ll see about outside time in a box though, is it okay if she’s buried under the substrate to take her out of there to go outside?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
thanks! i already have a uvb light i was just curious if there was any recommendations! i’ll see about outside time in a box though, is it okay if she’s buried under the substrate to take her out of there to go outside?
Hi sorry for the delay, does she bury herself a lot during the day in her enclosure?
I’d try to aim to get her whilst she’s already out n about but if she’s buried during the time the uv peaks, you may have to unearth her lol

Id save up for the indoor uv when you can because it can be so tricky giving them outdoor time here for the uv purely because of our temperatures.
Unfortunately the correct type of uv isn’t the cheapest😕but it is very important and vital for your tortoises health, if you’re able to get her out for some natural uv for now whilst it’s summer, try and work on the other things that need upgrading in the meantime, any questions about setting things up, ask away🥰

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Unfortunately, recommended UVB lights (T5 fluorescent tubes) aren't cheap. You can search for discounts or sales on recommended lamps but I do not know cheap, safe and long-lasting alternatives. Arcadia ProT5 Desert 12% is perhaps the best, then goes ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 and Reptile Systems kits. You may check with us before making an order, just in case.

If she's buried and taking a nap it's okay to pick her up and get outside. She may continue sleeping there. An important notice - tortoises absorb UV through their skin, not shell, so if she's burrowed she won't get UVB outside. But usually tortoises perk up outside - sunlight gives them more colors around (they perceive some UV as a fourth basic color), there are smells, sounds, air movement and so on.

Vanillukit

Appleton WI
Hi sorry for the delay, does she bury herself a lot during the day in her enclosure?
I’d try to aim to get her whilst she’s already out n about but if she’s buried during the time the uv peaks, you may have to unearth her lol

Id save up for the indoor uv when you can because it can be so tricky giving them outdoor time here for the uv purely because of our temperatures.
Unfortunately the correct type of uv isn’t the cheapest😕but it is very important and vital for your tortoises health, if you’re able to get her out for some natural uv for now whilst it’s summer, try and work on the other things that need upgrading in the meantime, any questions about setting things up, ask away🥰
is the one mentioned previously in this thread the cheapest correct one? i can send pics of what i already have when i get home from work. it depends on the day if she is buried during the day, sometimes she’s kinda just tucked in under the lamp half in the bedding and sometimes she’s completely buried in various places, i will occasionally dig around just to make sure she’s okay if she’s been under there all day and it’s not too late at night

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
The zoomed reptisun, which is the second best one seems to be currently on sale on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1DY82E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Note, that this only includes the bulb, you will have to buy the fixture for the light separate. But I do think that it is a good deal, especially if you are able to find the separate fixture for cheap.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The zoomed reptisun, which is the second best one seems to be currently on sale on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1DY82E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Note, that this only includes the bulb, you will have to buy the fixture for the light separate. But I do think that it is a good deal, especially if you are able to find the separate fixture for cheap.
There are fixtures for plant grow lights and general purpose T5 fixtures in the hardware stores (e.g. ceiling lights). The only concern with them is quality and shape of the reflector (even more - not all reflectors are reflecting UV).

Vanillukit

Appleton WI

is it a good idea to look on facebook marketplace for fixtures or is it too risky if it will work properly/last

Vanillukit

Appleton WI
There are fixtures for plant grow lights and general purpose T5 fixtures in the hardware stores (e.g. ceiling lights). The only concern with them is quality and shape of the reflector (even more - not all reflectors are reflecting UV).
is this kind of fixture acceptable?? it’s the kind i have for the heating the other side went wonky. keep in mind not the exact one its just a dual one

Attachments

• IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
is it a good idea to look on facebook marketplace for fixtures or is it too risky if it will work properly/last
If can find good fixtures there (like Arcadia or ZooMed Terrarium Hood) - probably you can get them. The risks are the same as with any buy. A few precautions:
1. Reflector should be relatively free of scratches.
2. Double check that you buy the right thing: T5 fixture, not T8 (older thicker tubes), correct brand (ZooMed and not ReptiZoo), size of the fixture and so on.
3. The lamp will likely to be replaced - UV output degrade over time and you don't know if there is any left (the lamp still is still glowing).

Faceraser

Ohio
i have tried to feed her all sorts of other vegetables and sometimes fruits and she won’t eat anything except brocolli and iceberg lettuce which i don’t give her often because it has like no nutritional value. please help !!,
I'm kinda in the same boat, Eunice (my Russian tortoise) only likes leaf lettuce and dandelion leaves. I'm pretty sure I've tried everything too .

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
What do you think about the cheap pet branded reflectors?
The same. Reports on cheaper T5 lamps sometimes highlight reflector oddities. That's why I advise to get a good UVB lamp (for all other stuff I always like to search for cheaper and unusual alternatives). The trouble is that we either trust lamp or need to get a Solarmeter.