My russian tortoise's poop is snot green

Yukki

Location (City and/or State)
california
ive had my tortoise for about 5-6 months now and he only eats lettuce which i think is the reasoning for the poop but idk. i have no idea why he only eats lettuce ive tried feeding him others but he doesnt want too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes that would likely be the reason for the green poop
Now though, you have to get him to eat much better stuff. You are the caretaker and have to do better. He can't eat lettuce if you don't give it to him.
Get better stuff, endive, escarole, arugula, dandelion, water cress, cactus pads, to name a few. Chop them up small along with the lettuce he likes. Use less lettuce than the other stuff. Spritz with water and feed. Each feeding has to be done this way. As he starts to eat the better items, start using less and less of the lettuce until he eats only the better stuff. You can add lettuce back in down the line, but only when fed mixed in with the better greens and not often.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
ive had my tortoise for about 5-6 months now and he only eats lettuce which i think is the reasoning for the poop but idk. i have no idea why he only eats lettuce ive tried feeding him others but he doesnt want too.
Hi and welcome.
What species of tort do you have?
There are caresheets in the Species Specific threads which will cover diet as well as all other aspects or tort care.
If you read the Information for new people thread that will also help you provide a more varied nutritious diet.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good starting guide to finding healthier foods too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi and welcome.
What species of tort do you have?
There are caresheets in the Species Specific threads which will cover diet as well as all other aspects or tort care.
If you read the Information for new people thread that will also help you provide a more varied nutritious diet.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good starting guide to finding healthier foods too.
They have a Russian.