My salcada gags!

Nana Marcia

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
My tortoise, Stubby, gags! He gags when I offer him a banana. I think it's hilarious. And he loves peanut butter with a cracker or bread. His recent like is Swiss cheese. I offered him string cheese (mozzarella) but he gagged on that too. Then I was reading on this forum about mallow weed or cheese weed. I have a crop growing in my Tucson, AZ, backyard. He gobbles that right down, and it's GOOD for him. So I think he will let me know what he likes, or gags!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's gagging on food items that aren't good for him. Sulcatas eat weeds and grasses, not baked goods, fruit and animal protein. I don't know for sure, but you might be doing harm to his health be feeding those items.

Welcome to the Forum. I'd love to see pictures of your tortoise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just thought of something else - a tortoise's nares go into the roof of his mouth not down his throat, so peanut butter might be plugging up his breathing

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I just thought of something else - a tortoise's nares go into the roof of his mouth not down his throat, so peanut butter might be plugging up his breathing
I didn't know that about the tortoise nose. Opo probably hates it when I soak mazuri to much and it gets stuck to the top of his mouth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise, Stubby, gags! He gags when I offer him a banana. I think it's hilarious. And he loves peanut butter with a cracker or bread. His recent like is Swiss cheese. I offered him string cheese (mozzarella) but he gagged on that too. Then I was reading on this forum about mallow weed or cheese weed. I have a crop growing in my Tucson, AZ, backyard. He gobbles that right down, and it's GOOD for him. So I think he will let me know what he likes, or gags!
Hello and welcome Nana Marcia. I hope we can help you offer better food items for your tortoise.

Here is a thread that lists all sorts of good foods: