Longtime Sulcatta owner and Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

nh112166

5 Year Member
Hey everyone ! I am happy to have found you all. I have a wonderful spirited Adult male Sulcatta named Apollo. I have had him for 17 years. We live her in NE Phoenix, az. I will get photos of my baby on here soon. He is huge I figure somewhere in the 70 to 90 lb range. My family wants me to sell him so he can have a larger yard and a female to bread with. Unfortunately he hasn't breeder since I have owned him. I didn't know how to go about it if I tried or if I should give him up to a better home. I love this guy. He is part of my family and honestly I have always loved turtles and tortoises. I have helped many to get well along the way. I don't want to be selfish here and deny him. So I need your opinions people. He does destroy my backyard and my granddaughter won't even go out back if he is up. Please help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

If he is a beloved family pet, which it sounds like he is, why would you ever want to give him up? They in no way shape or form ever "need" to be bred. They are solitary animals by nature, and are perfectly happy to be all alone their whole lives. Besides that, he's not alone. He has you and your family for company and entertainment. Further, Phoenix is an EXCELLENT place for a sulcata. I'll bet he is very happy there with you. Adding other tortoises would only complicate things. Sounds to me like he already has a "better home".

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome.
Seems like There Are Many Positives And Few Negatives, Its A Family beloved Pet.
Most Sulcatas Are Strong and Will Break Things Tear Up Your Yard, Not Because There A Bad Pet, Because Thats There Nature.
He Would Do Best With you.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Don't listen to your family and sell your beloved family pet, he is very happy being the only tortoise and like Tom said, he has you and your family to keep him intertained. He does not need to bred.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

WalkingRock is 11yrs old and 80lbs. He has never been breed and I'm afraid if he ever does, he'll get aggresive. Once they get "IT" they will look for "IT".

Your guy will be fine right where he is!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Once they get "IT" they will look for "IT".
Sounds like most men

Welcome as for your question, you should only give up a pet if you can't take care if him anymore, or you provide bad care, if neither of those apply, keep him.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
dmmj said:
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Once they get "IT" they will look for "IT".
Sounds like most men

Welcome as for your question, you should only give up a pet if you can't take care if him anymore, or you provide bad care, if neither of those apply, keep him.

...this only applies to 99% of ALL Males from planet Earth.... all others are suspect! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi nh112166:

Welcome to our Tortoise Forum Family!!

What would you like us to call you?

Many of us have only one sulcata. They don't need other tortoises to complete them. They are perfectly fine being a lone tortoise. That way they don't have to compete for the food, or for the best hiding place, or, for that matter, for YOUR attention!

After you've become accustomed to our format, we'd all love to see pictures of Apollo.

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Welcome!! I agree with everyone here. the best place for this little guy:p is right where he has been for the last 17 years that's with you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep the family member. Do not get another, do not breed. Already too many unwanted Sulcata's in rescues. :D

Katherine

5 Year Member
Welcome!!! Sounds like you love your sulcata a lot, he is lucky to have you to provide for him : ) hope you enjoy the forum!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Keep him! Your love is the most important thing you have for him. I would create a safe pen for him and simply let him live there. I keep Bob who is 14 years old and over 100 pounds. I put up a 3 foot tall cedar fence all around his area and now he is safe and happy. He can't escape or damage my flower beds...that way you can have flower beds or whatever else you want in your yard and he can't damage it...

Status
Not open for further replies.