new Sulcatta mummy;)

Thor-toise

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hello everyone! My name is MJ and I reside in Cali. I recently adopted a sulcatta from the shelter and we named her Thor. (I know shes a girl but its ok. lol) Ive never owned a tortoise before so im doing a lot of research on how to keep Thor healthy. We already bought an outdoor playpen for her and my indoor box is coming from overseas. Any advise for us? Also, since she came from the shelter and have no other info about her than being a Sulcatta, how do you know a tortoise's age? Shes a little bigger than my palm.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. no way of telling their age. Only good guesses can be made without knowing a hatch date.
Pictures of her and the enclosure will help us to help you properly house her

Thor-toise

SoCal
Hello and Welcome. no way of telling their age. Only good guesses can be made without knowing a hatch date.
Pictures of her and the enclosure will help us to help you properly h
Pictures of her and the enclosure will help us to help you properly house her

Oh okies... I have this for her outdoor pen:

IMG_0653.JPG

Thor-toise

SoCal
I noticed from the day I adopted her she has some pyramiding on her shell. Would bringing her outside and letting her bask and play under the sun help get rid of it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Humidity helps with pyramiding not sun. However, you can't reverse what's there but you can keep it from getting worse.
Make her a large indoor enclosure and keep temps at 80 with basking at 95-100 and a humidity of 80%. The outdoor enclosure is way too small for her size. Not enough room to roam and build muscle and strength. At minimum a 4x8 or larger and she will probably out grow that in a year.

Thor-toise

SoCal
Humidity helps with pyramiding not sun. However, you can't reverse what's there but you can keep it from getting worse.
Make her a large indoor enclosure and keep temps at 80 with basking at 95-100 and a humidity of 80%. The outdoor enclosure is way too small for her size. Not enough room to roam and build muscle and strength. At minimum a 4x8 or larger and she will probably out grow that in a year.
Thanks Wellington! Yea, we actually have a big backyard enough for her to roam around when she gets bigger... we just got the pen since we also have a very playful pit doggie that were still trying to introduce her to. Later on we will build her bigger enclosure. Thanks for the tips!!!

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
ok; you have found the right spot to give you the most updated care information on tortoises. Follow the care guidelines for Sulcatas posted here and you will do fine. As for pyramiding; most here feel that its the result of a dry start.....early care that was too dry in enclosure. Following recommendations here you will learn that getting the humidity and heat correct in enclosure will help reduce the pyramiding as it continues to grow. Your enclosure will work for limited periods outside; but hes actually already outgrown it for size. These animals like to roam; and the exercise helps in the digestion process. So the more room you can make for enclosure; the better. Expect requests to see your indoor set up; (substrate; light and heating sources.); as well as diet. Welcome and expect to embark upon a great learning experience that will help both you and Thor. (and for your information; in the new version of Marvel comics; Thor is actually female.)

Thor-toise

SoCal
ok; you have found the right spot to give you the most updated care information on tortoises. Follow the care guidelines for Sulcatas posted here and you will do fine. As for pyramiding; most here feel that its the result of a dry start.....early care that was too dry in enclosure. Following recommendations here you will learn that getting the humidity and heat correct in enclosure will help reduce the pyramiding as it continues to grow. Your enclosure will work for limited periods outside; but hes actually already outgrown it for size. These animals like to roam; and the exercise helps in the digestion process. So the more room you can make for enclosure; the better. Expect requests to see your indoor set up; (substrate; light and heating sources.); as well as diet. Welcome and expect to embark upon a great learning experience that will help both you and Thor. (and for your information; in the new version of Marvel comics; Thor is actually female.)

Hello Eric! No way?? Thor is actually a female? lol. I got it right then! Yea.. thats what i thought too. As soon as the shelter caretaker got her out from the aquarium, I know they have to be kept warm but she felt too warm... and shes actually tearing up! I figure her aquarium was too dry for her. Ill make sure to give her the right temperatures she needs. I will post pictures of her indoor set up once it arrives from the UK:) Thanks again!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It's too young/small to tell if it's male or female yet, it maybe a few more years before you can tell.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Hello Eric! No way?? Thor is actually a female? lol. I got it right then! Yea.. thats what i thought too. As soon as the shelter caretaker got her out from the aquarium, I know they have to be kept warm but she felt too warm... and shes actually tearing up! I figure her aquarium was too dry for her. Ill make sure to give her the right temperatures she needs. I will post pictures of her indoor set up once it arrives from the UK:) Thanks again!
15-30 minute soaks in warm water on a daily basis will help to re hydrate her after being in such a dry environment. And as for heat; there should be different heat in different areas of the enclosure; (again check the care sheets here). Getting one of those thermal guns at a hardware store will help you set temp requirements for different areas.

Thor-toise

SoCal
15-30 minute soaks in warm water on a daily basis will help to re hydrate her after being in such a dry environment. And as for heat; there should be different heat in different areas of the enclosure; (again check the care sheets here). Getting one of those thermal guns at a hardware store will help you set temp requirements for different areas.
She doesnt really like staying in the water for too long...but whatever's good for her. Will do!!!:)

Thor-toise

SoCal
It's too young/small to tell if it's male or female yet, it maybe a few more years before you can tell.
oh... The shelter guy told me shes a female since she doesnt have a concave part under her shell.. Do u know when can I find out?...but male or female, i love her/him..lol:)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
oh... The shelter guy told me shes a female since she doesnt have a concave part under her shell.. Do u know when can I find out?...but male or female, i love her/him..lol:)
They all start out with a flat plastron and look female. Usually once they get between 12-16 inches you should be able to tell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the care info for this species out in the world is wrong. It was based on incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild from 30 years ago and the same wrong info has been passed down from generation to generation. Here is the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

What are you having sent from the UK? You need a 4x8' closed chamber for this tortoise. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/ Keep it indoors on nights and cold weather days, and let it live outside in something equally large or larger during nice weather.

Do NOT "introduce" the dog and tortoise. From day one teach the dog to avoid the tortoise and leave it alone. If your dog knows an electric collar, teach it to avoid the tortoise with that, kind of like a snake braking clinic to keep your dog away from rattle snakes. Make the dog think the tortoise bites. Never leave the dog alone with the tortoise. Not even for one second. And it would be best if you fenced off a portion of the yard for the dog or tortoise, so the dog can never get to the tortoise when someone will inevitably let it outside not knowing the tortoise was out there.

Thor-toise

SoCal
Most of the care info for this species out in the world is wrong. It was based on incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild from 30 years ago and the same wrong info has been passed down from generation to generation. Here is the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

What are you having sent from the UK? You need a 4x8' closed chamber for this tortoise. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/ Keep it indoors on nights and cold weather days, and let it live outside in something equally large or larger during nice weather.

Do NOT "introduce" the dog and tortoise. From day one teach the dog to avoid the tortoise and leave it alone. If your dog knows an electric collar, teach it to avoid the tortoise with that, kind of like a snake braking clinic to keep your dog away from rattle snakes. Make the dog think the tortoise bites. Never leave the dog alone with the tortoise. Not even for one second. And it would be best if you fenced off a portion of the yard for the dog or tortoise, so the dog can never get to the tortoise when someone will inevitably let it outside not knowing the tortoise was out there.

Hello there! I'm waiting for my tortoise table. All the important infos are already on your post! Thank you so so very much!!! They're super helpful!