just joined

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleitzell

5 Year Member
Hello all, Just joined up today, we have a 6-7 year old sulcatta (my Daughtors actually) Daisey we call her she is well and growing approx. 40-50 lbs. now, we joined up to insure we have resources to continue feeding and caring for her, were a bit concerned about the ratio between her size and the size of our yard right now......were in canyon country, CA

moswen

5 Year Member
oh, do you know how big sulcatas get? over 2 feet and 200 lbs, they destroy landscaping, knock over bricks, and dig abominable dens that stretch for miles. adult sulcatas need a lot of space and you need to love them even after they've eaten your whole hibiscus plant!

spend some time reading on here and you'll get a lot of information on their behaviors and look at some pics! welcome to the forum, hope to see a lot from you! ask any questions you want, we've got a font of knowledge here just waiting to help you out!

again, welcome!

bleitzell

5 Year Member
haha, yes were aware of there eventual size, new that going in and have already experienced her strength and ability to destroy beyond what would normally be called destruction, We all love and appreciate her uniqueness, currently trying to figure out what sort of landscape we can put out there that will withstand her....were working on combing yards to increase her available space to rome around..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome and I would suggest regarding landscaping more is less, anything it does not like will get removed anyways.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Sounds like your getting into the "fun" size zone now with Daisey. :D

moswen

5 Year Member
bleitzell said:
haha, yes were aware of there eventual size, new that going in and have already experienced her strength and ability to destroy beyond what would normally be called destruction, We all love and appreciate her uniqueness, currently trying to figure out what sort of landscape we can put out there that will withstand her....were working on combing yards to increase her available space to rome around..

haha, well that's awesome to hear. i would choose to put a huge complex of tunnels with great big hubs where certain tunnels meet up, and i would create a "bedroom" in which no one besides daisy would be allowed access, a "kitchen" where you can just pull up the ceiling above and drop food down a hole, and a "living room" with a nice little chiminea and the latest national geographic magazines in a nice little pile next to a comfy little dig out for her fat little bottom.... underneath my grass if i chose to landscape a back yard for a sulcata! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bleitzell:

Welcome to the forum!!

For sure, plant a mulberry tree. If its a smaller sized tree, you'll have to protect it by putting a fence around it, until it grows big enough to protect itself. You can also plant Rose of Sharon. Both of those are edible.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. We are neighbors. I'm just over the hill in Saugus. I have 9 sulcatas and 14 baby leopards on five acres.

Are you sure she is a she? Post some pics and we can all have a lot of fun guessing. I wouldn't mind checking her out for you either.

There are a couple of other regular posters that have sulcatas and live near us too.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome to the Forum...I'd be one of those nearby with a couple sulcatas (5 to be exact)...and I'm in Lancaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.