Yellow Foot and Sulcatta Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Prunedale, CA
Hey there!
Im in the Central Coast of California, and had to take a Yellow Foot and Sulcatta Tortoise from my dad the other day! My cousins had left them in my grandmothers yard, and they knew nothing of them! They actually thought the Yellow Foot was a "water turtle"! WTF!! I couldn't believe it, so I started telling them alil bit about them, and they just said.... "take them they arent gettting taken care of here!" So now I have a Yellow Foot, and I'm getting the Sulcatta when I am finishing setting up the outdoor enclosure for him!
The Sulcatta is somewhere around 50lbs, and close to 2 1/2-3ft! He is a beast! :) The Yellow Foot is fairly small, roughly 6inches. Thankfully I've owned a Red Foot Tortoise before and know about them, but I have had to do major research on the Sulcatta!

My plan is to retrofit a pond that we built in the back yard, but never finished... for the sulcatta, the yellow foot is indoors! I don't know the measurements of it, but it is at least 15ft long, and 10ft wide! I want to make a greenhouse roof to put ontop of the pond, and use Coco Coir and sand mixture for the substrate, maybe some wood chips as a top layer! I also want to build a wooden shelter for the tortoise to go into during the night! Ideally it would have some type of heating element in there! Possibly a "pig blanket" (i think that is what they are called).

I only have pics of the yellow foot, so I'll post them!

If you guys can give me any feedback it would surely help!

Attachments

• DSCN5081.JPG
    DSCN5081.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D Beautiful :tort: and will look forward to seeing the sulcata....the enclosure you referred to sounds interesting to say the least...pics would be fantastic as well..... :p

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome...I dont think thats a yellowfoot...looks more like a box turtle, possibly a three toed. See how the plastron has a hinge to it?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
jeffbens0n said:
Welcome...I dont think thats a yellowfoot...looks more like a box turtle, possibly a three toed. See how the plastron has a hinge to it?

Definitely a three toed box turtle.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't look at the photo earlier because I used my phone, but know I have to say like the others that the photo is of a three toed and not a yellowfoot..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi macdeezy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Your new little yellowfoot tortoise is actually a 3-toed box turtle. Great little animals. You're really going to enjoy having her.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
Thanks for the welcome, and for the confirmation of it being a box turtle! I posted it on a herp forum, Im part of, and they also had said that it was prob a box turtle, but they weren't too sure so wanted me to double check!

And I will post some pics of the outdoor enclosure I am getting ready for the sulcatta once it gets a little more done! Yesterday, I was only able to clear all the weeds that had overgrown from our yard to the walkway around the pond!

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
ohh! and Emysemys you can call me Deezy, Macdeezy, or Daniel. I like Deezy though, but either one works. Daniel is my actual name!

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
here is a lil video of the Sulcatta I'm gonna get! I thought I would have had him already, but I just wanna make sure I have the whole enclosure set up first!
BTW: I know the food being fed to him is not a proper diet, and that is one of the few reasons I am taking him from my dad!

http://youtu.be/01tZOYo_2hw

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
He looks fantastic, what is that he is eating? Hard to tell from the video..

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I think my Grandmother was feeding him some kind of Coleslaw mix (just the vegies, no mayonaise, or whatever is in coleslaw!).
I am Completely sore right now from getting the whole setup cleaned out, and building his new house out of bricks and that clear plastic stuff that they use on greenhouses! I only have a pic of me starting to put down the first layer of soil/coco coir! I will take a few pics of what it looks like tomorrow, it is too cold right now, and my back is KILLING me!
I am thinking about adding a layer of woodchips just to hold in moisture, But please tell me if this is unnecessary!!

Here are 2 pics of the Sulcatta and one of me in the pond/setup so you can see how big he is!!

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome (late) to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.
That looks like it is gonna be an awesome pond, what if anything are you putting in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.