My skin is peeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
:tort:
I'm sure it's normal, but Grigor's skin is peeling.
I'm not sure if it's because he's growing or if it's a factor of his environment that's causing it.
Help?

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
He's a russian. What can I do to regulate the humidity, if that were the problem?

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
soaking can help. i spray my little guy a couple times a day to ensure he is not to dry from basking. spraying the substrate can make the humidity go up a little to make sure it is not TOO dry, if you use cypress mulch. im sure other members will give you their opinion on what to do if necessary.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
I've got the eco substrate that comes in a brick and then expands in water. Also, there's sand mixed in as well with his basking side the majority sand. Do you think it's the sand? I thought that too much humidity could cause respiratory infections. I do soak him, maybe twice a week bacause I read that helped.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
too much humidity could cause pneumonia at high levels. but 45% is pretty safe and not to dry. i am not sure about the sand as i do not use it. i have a fear on impacting. just try and soak him a little more. see if anything changes. what kind of bulb do you use?

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
So you suggest spraying him? I read a little bit on impaction, can you tell me more? I have both UVA and UVB, if that's what you mean.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
well i have not done too much research on impacting to be an expert. i would not feel comfortable telling you something i may not know so well. all i know is that impacting can be fatal to a tort. to much sand can also cause some eye problems. all i had to hear was NO from many opinions. i stick to cypress mulch. and in younger tortoises (possibly older) ,occasional to a couple times a day, spraying can help the growth of the carapace. and keep the shell nice and hydrated.

i would highly recommend getting other opinions from other sources rather than just me alone. things i say may not fly with you. research many other facts.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/substrates.html here is a good site for substrate issues if you would like to read.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Peeling skin is usually a sign of shedding, tortoises don't shed all at once like other species do.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's pretty normal to be shedding small amounts of skin. It does not have to mean your tortoise is sick or lacking anything. It should be taken as a warning to check that your doing things correctly for your particular animal. Humidity is a good possible issue as the person above advised. Now if this shedding becomes large patches or the skin under it is raw or smelly, or if it seems to be never ending, then it's time to worry.

As for the impaction issue, your chances are low of that happening. Every substrate has it's issues and any of them could cause an impaction if eaten, even things like cypress can be a problem if eaten. The other things may "break down" someday, but someday may be too late for the tortoise who ingested it. If sand is used in a mix rather then mainly or even a straight sand substrate, then it is even less an issue. That is another reason to never use sand as anything but a mixture. Folks will say never ever use sand, then tell you to use soil. Hate to tell them this, but in most soils there is sand. :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Humidity will not cause pneumonia, UNLESS it is humid AND cold. If the temps are kept at the proper levels, humidity will not cause sickness. It is only cold and wet conditions that cause illness.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Kristina said:
Humidity will not cause pneumonia, UNLESS it is humid AND cold. If the temps are kept at the proper levels, humidity will not cause sickness. It is only cold and wet conditions that cause illness.

yes! that was a major part i left out!

Status
Not open for further replies.