My small miracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
A week ago tomorrow I adopted a male cockatiel. His previous owners were elderly asnd had to go onto assisted living and could not keep him. They had him for 3 years and treated him like a child. He is the sweetest bird and was a member of the family from the moment we saw him.

Last night he flew outside and immediately up a tree. My other teil came right back to me, but the new one Sonny has not yet learned recall. I was devestated. He flew into a nearby cemtary with lots of trees and lots of birds.

I was up at 6am looking for him. Luckily we dod not get the thunderstorms in the forecast! I heard him calling from high up in an oak but could not see him. I went home to eat and came back and he had flown elsewhere. So I went home to do schoolwork. A few hours later I heard him calling, he was flying around the house. I heard him all around the block but could not locate him. By about 2 I figured he was gone.

All of a sudden my female teil, who I had just brought inside, began calling. I heard Sonny! I went outside and actually saw him! In the dead tree by the neighbors garage! I ran back home to get his favorite toy, a huge bowl of seed and my other teil. 20 minutes later he was finally down and I got him!!!!

I am so happy! I couldn't deal with this poor guy lost outside after he just lost his first family.

Had to share my story somewhere! Miracles do happen!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Glad you got him back:) and your right miracles happen every day God's awesome:)

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
His wings are trimed! They are trimmed all the way, we just did it a few days ago! I can't beleive he flew so well. Never thought I would see him again after he was out there all night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the story with a happy ending.

Yeah some birds are amazingly good flyers even when clipped. I'm teaching a girl I work with how to sanctuary train pigeons to a perch and she has this one bird that we've clipped 7 primaries on both sides and he still just flies straight up. He'd be gone if it weren't for the jesses and the line...

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
What a great story. I'll bet you hardly slept at all last night. Their homing instinct always amazes me.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if he is trimmed on both sides, they are even.. one side has to not match the other.. however.. some still manage..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
herpgirl24 said:
His wings are trimed! They are trimmed all the way, we just did it a few days ago! I can't beleive he flew so well. Never thought I would see him again after he was out there all night.

Tom said:
Thanks for the story with a happy ending.

Yeah some birds are amazingly good flyers even when clipped. I'm teaching a girl I work with how to sanctuary train pigeons to a perch and she has this one bird that we've clipped 7 primaries on both sides and he still just flies straight up. He'd be gone if it weren't for the jesses and the line...

Only trim one wing...the lack of balance will not allow him to fly far.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I believe it's best not to trim too much of their wings. I believe they do need to fly somewhat to get away from danger if needed. I'm so happy that he came back to you and quite surprised. We lost one once as it flew out the window and never came back. I have two now only because they found me. :D I love Cockatiels, they make great watch dogs. :p

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
What a wonderful story! I'm so glad he is home safe & sound :)

Status
Not open for further replies.