My star tortoise is not eating , and its always at a corner ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
Make sure the temperatures are right. It should be at least 80 degrees F. Try hand-feeding if it still won't eat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please give the info we need to be able to properly help you. Location, set-up, inside and out, temps, basking and ambient and night temps. Food you are offering. Substrate you are using. How old hips it, how long have you had it. Anything else you can think of that I might have missed.

The picture you has as your avatar is of a leopard. Not a star tortoise. Do you own a leopard and a star? Do they have separate housing? If not, I would separate them ASAP.

kekek

5 Year Member
Indonesia
my star only eat when its quite ... otherwise they stay at corner and sleep.

star is shy tortoise :)

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Kekek, do you have to tortoises together? *Was there a name change*?

wilfred fred perry

5 Year Member
I don't really measure the temp , but I bought a 60 w reptile uv lamp for him, and it's quite hot when I on, so I didn't on for long , mayb just 10-15 mins , and it house indoors, I feed him carrot for a start and he eat, but now nope, btw I do own a star but not leopard , thanks , all my info are here:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you post a pic of your star. You aren't giving us enough info to help you. Just carrots for food is not good. You have to offer way more then that. You need to measure temps in order to know what needs to be done. Home Depot, about $25.00 for a temp gun. What is he housed in. Take a picture, we will at least be able to see the housing, lighting, substrate, with a coup,e good pics. We ca 't help you, unless you help us and give more info. We also need to know where you live. What country? If you live in the USA, what state.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
wilfred fred perry said:
I don't really measure the temp , but I bought a 60 w reptile uv lamp for him, and it's quite hot when I on, so I didn't on for long , mayb just 10-15 mins , and it house indoors, I feed him carrot for a start and he eat, but now nope, btw I do own a star but not leopard , thanks , all my info are here:)

You only keep the light on 10 - 15 minutes a day?

What other foods do you offer?

The first thing I would recommend here is that you go out and by a half way decent thermometer. You should at least have a good idea of what the temperatures in your enclosure are. The tortoise may not be eating because it is too hot...or too cold. The temperatures are usually the first place I would start if I had a tortoise that wasn't eating.

The only other thing I could recommend at this point is that you keep the tortoise outside during the daytime as much as you can. From what I know about Singapore, you live in a very tortoise friendly environment. You could keep your tortoise outside 24/7 and life would be good for you and your tortoise.

wilfred fred perry

5 Year Member
Yup, I scared its too hot , so I just on for only 10-15 mins, btw where can I get the thermometer ? From fish shops or?

And thanks for the info btw :)

I feed him, carrots , kang kong, broccoli, that's all. Is it good food for him?

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
wilfred fred perry said:
Yup, I scared its too hot , so I just on for only 10-15 mins, btw where can I get the thermometer ? From fish shops or?

And thanks for the info btw :)

I feed him, carrots , kang kong, broccoli, that's all. Is it good food for him?

You are not taking care of your tortoise properly. AT ALL.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Can you post a picture tonight? Feed them weeds such as dandelions, plantain (plantago), sowthistle, mallow, clover, hawk bits, cat's ears, trefoil, as well as mulberry and grape leaves. Flowers that are recommended are hibiscus, nasturtiums, and gazanias. In the winter when nothing is available, feed them Spring Mix. This info is off of this forum.

Is your star in a tank (glass) or wood enclosure? Is there a lid? All and any info you can provide is very, very helpful. We would like to help you and your tortoise.

wilfred fred perry

5 Year Member
Sherybaby, I don't think that comment help at all ... Ver, hmm but I live in Singapore , I don't think they selling this type of food too, btw the heating and lighting part , do u know how long I need to on it?

I put it at a fibre tank, the tanks that use to keep koi fish, but it's not so active, and it's always hibernating. I don't know why, but I wish to help her ):

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it needs better care.. better diet, proper heating and light. You need to read up on thier proper care or maybe find it a new home if you cant provide for it. Im sorry.. but that my feelings.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I noticed you haven't posted pictures for us to better help you and her. I also noticed other post of yours. Seeing that you're so far away and your resources are different than mine I don't think I can really help you much more. I can tell you this, from reading your post you need a few things, to gauge her temps, feed her a more proper diet, and maybe even perhaps like previously stated consider finding her a new home while you catch up on some homework. I know before I got my first tortoise (for their safety) I did months and months of research and still didn't know everything I needed to know (I STILL don't know everything). This is a total learning process but not at the expense of a small life. This of course is just my opinion and I am trying to speak on the Stars behalf. If you decide to not find her a new home please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Also, to help you further If she isn't eating there is a reason and it isn't because she is "picky". Take Care

kekek

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Vishnu2, sorry don't understand your question

wilfred fred perry,
when my istar didn't want to eat, I gave them varian of food.
Pakchoy / Bokchoy, hibiscus leaf and flower, squash, grass and mazuri

brianD

5 Year Member
Kang kong (Ipomea aquatica) is a relatively good food source, I feed it to many of my aquatic species of turtles. But I also suggest you feed locally growing grasses as it is important to offer a varied diet. These can be found growing wild in many areas of Singapore (such as the central catchment), just be sure to wash them thoroughly to assure that they have no pesticides on them. You could also try growing your own grass seed. It is quite easy to do in flower pots, say on a balcony.

Is your home air conditioned? I would avoid keeping the tortoise in an air conditioned room and maintain ambient air temperature at a minimum of 80F . You can buy a thermometer at most hardware stores. The infrared temperature readers (they use a red laser to measure surface temperature) are very helpful at reading spot temperatures but you should also have thermometer to measure air temperature.

How large of an enclosure do you have? It needs to be large enough for the tortoise to have multiple areas of varying temperatures. Try heating one area to 100F, but it is extremely important that the tortoise can move to areas that are cooler. What type of substrate are you using? Are you providing a shallow water bowl? Are you offering a small hide for the tortoise?

Temperature, humidity (which you have plenty of in Singapore), diet, and ultraviolet light are some of the most important things to manage when keeping a tortoise. I suggest you look into building a 'tortoise table' and avoid the use of the container designed for Koi.

I hope this helps get you started on a better path.

Status
Not open for further replies.