My Sulcata will not eat hay

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
Hello members,

This is my first thread post so I am still figuring out how to use this site.

But I have a 3-5 year old male Suclata that weighs roughly 30-40lbs.
I am currently living in Colorado and have a decent size winter enclosure (4ft x 15ft) for the tortoise.
The enclosure has a hiding area with a large heat pad made for sulcatas & the enclosure also has a 250 watt ceramic heat lamp, 2 75 watt basking lights and a 26 watt instense uvb light & sunlight from the window. So the tortoise is warm enough and has the right lighting for the winter.

The tortoise is a very good eater but does not seem to have an appetite for hay. I have been trying to figure out what would be best for the tortoise to eat during the winters and not sure what would be best other than cactus pads and mazuri pellets. I have hay in the enclosure but never seen the tortoise eat any of it. He eats mostly mazuri tortoise pellets, and cactus pads. I feed him collard greens 2-3 times a week and rarely fruit. I know that a high fiber diet is strictly enforced and i do try to focus his diet mostly high on fiber. I do offer him large alfalfa pellets and he only he eats them occasionally. I know that he needs more fiber because his poop is too soft.

Since he does not have access to grass because it is very cold during Colorado winters and he does not seem to eat hay, what do you guys think I should give him that is high in fiber? Or how do I get the tortoise to eat hay or even alfalfa?

I did get the tortoise when we was around 25lbs a year ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

What type of hub is the 26 watt? Coil type cfl? Those are potentially dangerous and they are not an effective UV source for a large tortoise.

There are also better greens from the store. Favor endive and escarole more heavily.

On to your question:
What type of hay are you offering? Should be orchard grass hay or bermuda to start with. Timothy is to stemmy and so is alfalfa, in addition to being pretty high in protein.

Start by offering everything you feed him on a bed of the right grass hay. Small amounts will be incidentally ingested and he'll get used to the taste smell and texture.

Next grab a very small handful of the hay and use some scissors to chop it up super fine into a tub or bowl of some sort. Then add some water and let it soak for an hour or more to re-hydrate the grass. Next chop up the days greens and thoroughly mix in the wet grass hay. Over time increase the amount of grass hay offered with the other food, but start with hardly any. This technique will work really well with soaked Mazuri too. In time, he'll recognize the hay as food and it it plain and dry.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
[QUOTE="Tom, post: 1448203, member: 3441

I use the coil type of uvb but is only in one area of the enclosure and on a timer. There's a window right along the enclosure to where the tortoise has a decent amount of sunlight as well, which he pretty much basks in the sunlight each day. Should I take out the uvb light if it can be dangerous?

I will try to use more endive and escarole as well.

And I had no idea I was using the wrong blend of hay! I've been using a Timothy/ oat/ alfalfa blend. I will definitely get orchard or Bermuda tomorrow.

I will also try the technique you have provided me

Thank you for the feedback and the information was very helpful!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
[QUOTE="Tom, post: 1448203, member: 3441

I use the coil type of uvb but is only in one area of the enclosure and on a timer. There's a window right along the enclosure to where the tortoise has a decent amount of sunlight as well, which he pretty much basks in the sunlight each day. Should I take out the uvb light if it can be dangerous?

I will try to use more endive and escarole as well.

And I had no idea I was using the wrong blend of hay! I've been using a Timothy/ oat/ alfalfa blend. I will definitely get orchard or Bermuda tomorrow.

I will also try the technique you have provided me

Thank you for the feedback and the information was very helpful!
He can't get UV exposure through a window. The coil bulbs can damage their eyes. You should replace it. Your tortoise doesn't need UV every day, so he would be fine without one for a few days while you get a new one.

Reactions: Tom

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Windows absorb most UV light, he will only get heat from it no usable ultraviolet

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
He can't get UV exposure through a window. The coil bulbs can damage their eyes. You should replace it. Your tortoise doesn't need UV every day, so he would be fine without one for a few days while you get a new one.

Will a long florescent tube type of uvb be okay then? Such as a 10.0 Reptisun?

Thanks for the comment

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will a long florescent tube type of uvb be okay then? Such as a 10.0 Reptisun?

Thanks for the comment

Yes. The 10.0 tubes do make a little UV but it must be mounted no farther than 10-12 inches from the tortoise for it to work. Arcadia makes some good HO type UV tubes that will work well from farther away if that is what you need. Check here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com