my sully has attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Well I'm just curious but the thing is me and Rodney was outside earlier and I gave him some water and spring mix. Well these 2 little sparrows about 4" tall kept trying to steal his spring mix. Well Rodney wasn't having none of it he would charge after them till they flew away. I personally thought it was adorable because he was protecting his most prize possession FOOD!!!! LOL My question is is this kinda attitude and lack of fear normal for a 5" 1/2 lbs 7 month old tort. I mean arnt birds there natural predators ?

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I Wouldnt say birds are natural predators. Fur sure hawks and owls are tho

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Lol! That's cute XD but no, sparrows shouldn't be a natural predator, if you see him chasing off a hawk or owl though, I think I would be a little proud :D As I promptly take him inside, lol! I had to kick a raccoon the other day (poor guy, I didn't mean to I just freaked out a little and went into mommy mode.. :p) for trying to pick up and run off with my baby :p gotta be careful at all times with the littler ones!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you need to catch that on video, how cute, until he gets big that is. Well then you might have to drop his food and run:p:D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
KimandKarasi said:
Lol! That's cute XD but no, sparrows shouldn't be a natural predator, if you see him chasing off a hawk or owl though, I think I would be a little proud :D As I promptly take him inside, lol! I had to kick a raccoon the other day (poor guy, I didn't mean to I just freaked out a little and went into mommy mode.. :p) for trying to pick up and run off with my baby :p gotta be careful at all times with the littler ones!!

I think if you have had such a close call with a raccoon while having your baby tort outside, you should make sure to only bring him/her outside when you can provide a secure, safe enclosure. It would be awful to watch an animal run off with your tort.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Laurie said:
I think if you have had such a close call with a raccoon while having your baby tort outside, you should make sure to only bring him/her outside when you can provide a secure, safe enclosure. It would be awful to watch an animal run off with your tort.

True, but that was only because I had stayed out past dark when the raccoons start dropping from trees like ninjas... I won't be doing that again ever :p

jason g.

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I think you need to catch that on video, how cute, until he gets big that is. Well then you might have to drop his food and run:p:D

Lol Nah he loves dad I'll never have to run.; ) I will try to catch it on video. I'm sure it will happen again. He didn't like those sparrows. I guess I wouldn't either if they were stealing my food. Although he did have a whole big lawn FULL of weeds. ( I hate yard work. My tort is lucky haven't sprayed pesticides or pulled a weed scince I moved here.lol)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sparrows are competition only for spring mix, no danger to them, More predatory species such as falcons and such, can be a danger. I think you will find that most sulcatas have lots of attitude.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The lack of fear is normal for a 5" sulcata, but the charging other animals in defense of food, now that is unusual. I have seen them ram a hand that was put too close to their face in a sort of startled defensive mode, but intentionally charging birds at his food service area is a new one for me. I love animals with a little attitude and some fight in them, so I think this is pretty cool.

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
KimandKarasi said:
Laurie said:

True, but that was only because I had stayed out past dark when the raccoons start dropping from trees like ninjas... I won't be doing that again ever :p

Sounds like you need to invest in one of these and bait those raccoons with some cat food. :D

http://www.tractorsupply.com/catch-and-release-live-animal-trap-32-in-x-10-in-x-12-in--5132022

jason g.

5 Year Member
Tom said:
The lack of fear is normal for a 5" sulcata, but the charging other animals in defense of food, now that is unusual. I have seen them ram a hand that was put too close to their face in a sort of startled defensive mode, but intentionally charging birds at his food service area is a new one for me. I love animals with a little attitude and some fight in them, so I think this is pretty cool.

I agree I love a little attitude in my animals. I almost wonder if he was playing. Of course he never got close enough to them but he was interested. He watched them like he was watching me when I get home from work. He's always wanting food. I think he just likes to always have food in his dish. You would think I starve him but he gets a wiiiide variety of greens weeds and flowers and plenty of grassland tort food.

Status
Not open for further replies.