My tortoise chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torterra

5 Year Member
I didnt want to get a tiny baby this summer, as they are just to frail IMO.
I sprung for one that was apparently "under 6 months"

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5059.jpg

Thanks
Sam

MarysTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Ahh, he's a cutie! Yeah, he looks pretty hardy. We got ours very tiny and the first 4 months were scary. Almost like taking care of a newborn. Plus tortoise care was all new to me, so that probably made it a little harder.

Is he your only tortoise?

Torterra

5 Year Member
He is my only tortoise.

I have a snapping turtle and a florida softshell as well. I also have a tegu.

-Sam

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sam:

1966319g6s6a0l2lf.gif

Keep an eye on your tortoise's beak. It looks like it might be starting to over-grow on the top beak. This is easy to keep under control, but better to have it taken care of at the beginning before the problem gets too bad. They don't have teeth, so they need their beak to "meet" so they can bite off the food.

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I just love seeing the little sulcatas. They're so sweet and pure...nothing like what they grow up to be! (Just look at Bob!!:D)

Do you keep your water turtles outside? I have some Florida soft shells in my pond and a rescued snapper that I'm getting ready to send back to a state where they are legal.

Yvonne

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
congrats sam, i love baby sulcatas. i got my galileo when he was small and watching him grow has been awesome. hes 27#s now and as cute and handsome as ever. upper beak looks like its overgrowing to me too yvonne. galileo & spring big smiles

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sam congratulations on your new shelled wonder Chuck he is a handsome fellow.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Chuck is such a cutie !!! Kudos to you for going for an older one. Babies are just so fragile, and unless you know exactly 120% what your doing with a hatchling, I also think it's best you get an older torty. My Tallula is 5yrs old, and we've had her for 7months!

Torterra

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone!

My turtles are also very small, so they are not ready for any type of pond, but maybe one day...

If i notice him having trouble biting at food, i will take him to the vet. No issues so far. He ate some grape leaves today. I have an order of hay on its way, along with some other goodies like tnt nutrition.

IMG_5072.jpg

This is the first year the vine has fruited. I planted it 5 years ago when i just started high school. He loves the leaves! Unfortunately hes going to have to get only greens for a few more days.

His shell looks really good, i believe the owner just fed grass and took good care of these guys.

I dream of seeing my tegu and tortoise all grown up one day. Hopefully they can be in some sort of education program.

Thanks everyone, you all seem very nice!

Just for fun!

Here was my tegu on may 1st:
IMG_4381.jpg

here he was on july 1st:
IMG_4781.jpg

I need a new pic, forgot to take one on august 1st DOH!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Tegus are cool. I may have to get one some day. Either that or an ackie.

Torterra

5 Year Member
Thanks, i have never met an Argentine tegu that didn't become a fantastic PET with a bit of work. They can be nasty if you loose their trust. Do not get a columbian if you want an affectionate animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.