My tortoise died...

Zack123

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
So, an almost 1 year old leopard tortoise to be exact. I like what I do every day is to pick my tortoises up to go inside (because I don't have a heater in my outdoor enclosure) and suddenly when I picked up my last leopard tortoise (warning, might be a bit gross and NSFW) a whole colony of ants went out of it's body.

Of course I was scared shitless but I had a little bit hope... Unfortunately my hope was not there. Sunken dead eyes, no response.. Just to be sure I grabbed it's head hoping for some little response but no, it's definitely dead.

I for sure checked for it's health, like if there was any wheezing sound (before it died, like yesterday), fungus on plastron/shell, wounds on it's body or dehydration.. He had none. So I thought maybe due internal problems I didn't check.

And I kinda am scared now to bring them outside for natural sunlight...

So, Is there anyway for them to die because of ants? Or is it internal problems? genetics maybe? Some one any idea to enlighten me

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so very sorry that's an awful way to find a tort.
Where are you located?
A one year old should be housed inside in a closed chamber with controlled heat and humidity.
They should not be housed in pairs and until they are around 3-4 years old, 7-10 inches, they should only go outside for a short time.
If they were a type of biting ant, like fire ants, then yes, they could have killed it. If they are kept in pairs, the stress of it could have killed him or the other Tort could possibly have rammed him to death. Last one not likely at that age.
Also could be due to a too hot and dry start before you got him or for his
First year of life.
Bring the other inside and set him up according to the forums caresheet in a closed chambet.

Zack123

Netherlands
I am so very sorry that's an awful way to find a tort.
Where are you located?
A one year old should be housed inside in a closed chamber with controlled heat and humidity.
They should not be housed in pairs and until they are around 3-4 years old, 7-10 inches, they should only go outside for a short time.
If they were a type of biting ant, like fire ants, then yes, they could have killed it. If they are kept in pairs, the stress of it could have killed him or the other Tort could possibly have rammed him to death. Last one not likely at that age.
Also could be due to a too hot and dry start before you got him or for his
First year of life.
Bring the other inside and set him up according to the forums caresheet in a closed chambet.
I thought that when they are around 1 year they could go outside.

And I live in the Netherlands, all we have is I think the common carpet ants? Idk, it's not as dangerous as those fire ants or bullet ants.

And my other torts are at the same size and a bit smaller, but they tend to do their own thing so they can't ram it to death.

And is a too dry/hot start really something that can kill tortoises later in life? Well, I guess I need to find a better breeder to be sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought that when they are around 1 year they could go outside.

And I live in the Netherlands, all we have is I think the common carpet ants? Idk, it's not as dangerous as those fire ants or bullet ants.

And my other torts are at the same size and a bit smaller, but they tend to do their own thing so they can't ram it to death.

And is a too dry/hot start really something that can kill tortoises later in life? Well, I guess I need to find a better breeder to be sure.
They can go outside at 1 but not for long. 1/2 hour to an hour. As they grow bigger it can be longer.
Yes, a bad start can kill them even a year later. We have seen it many times.
Get your other ones set up inside correctly and they have a chance to be just fine.
Being started wrong is not a guaranteed death sentence but is a gamble. Getting the others set up inside correctly will give them the best chance.
Yes, please question the breeder to be sure any hatchlings are started humid hopefully in a closed chamber and warm water soaks daily by the breeder.
Read the caresheet, and closed chamber threads by forum member Tom.
If you any questions after reading them, post a new thread and someone will help you thru.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm sorry to hear about your tortoise, and the way you discovered his death. Truly a horrible experience.

When hatchlings are kept too dry right after hatching, their kidneys are damaged by the dehydration. They can do well for a while, but finally they get big enough that those injured kidneys just can't do their job any more.

Do you know what your tort weighed? That would be another clue to whatever happened.