My tortoise has died

Tortytim

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
Hi. Unfortunately my 5 year old marginated tortoise has passed away. He is completely unresponsive - his feet are hanging out but don’t react when touched/tickled. He has had warm baths but there is still no reaction, and unfortunately his eyes are sunken so I’m pretty certain he’s died. The underneath of his shell has gone pink - is this a sign of septicaemia? If so, how is it likely he has caught this?
Also, while bathing him (I’m assuming he was already dead at this point) there was a smelly red tinted water come out his tail. Could this be linked?

I’m absolutely gutted that I’ve lost my baby at such a young age [emoji26]IMG_1581.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just awful! I'm so sorry this happened.

Unfortunately the only way to know what caused his death is to have a vet perform a necropsy.

Bee62

Germany
I am sorry for your loss.
She is obviously dead.
Was your tort good eating before her death ? Was she in hibernation ? How had been the temps in her enclosure ?

DougK

Boynton Beach, FLORIDA
Hi. Unfortunately my 5 year old marginated tortoise has passed away. He is completely unresponsive - his feet are hanging out but don’t react when touched/tickled. He has had warm baths but there is still no reaction, and unfortunately his eyes are sunken so I’m pretty certain he’s died. The underneath of his shell has gone pink - is this a sign of septicaemia? If so, how is it likely he has caught this?
Also, while bathing him (I’m assuming he was already dead at this point) there was a smelly red tinted water come out his tail. Could this be linked?

I’m absolutely gutted that I’ve lost my baby at such a young age [emoji26]View attachment 271621
❣️

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That's really tough. I am very sorry.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK

I’m absolutely gutted that I’ve lost my baby at such a young age [emoji26]View attachment 271621
Oh no, that’s awful I’m so sorry:(

I’m no expert and don’t take my word for it but the darker colour in the middle looks like scepsis to me. Red/pinkish hue on the shell tends to be the end stage of scepsis but that’s spread so fast that I’m not sure.

JW088

Hull

I’m sorry your tortoise has died. I have just lost my own marginated tortoise aged 8 yesterday and he also had his legs hanging out and the bottom of his shell had turned pink/ red although I have no idea how he died as it was quite sudden have you got any thought on how your has passed?