My Tortoise Is Dead

Magiskebecky

Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
Awwww i am so sorry for your loss i know how hard it is to lose a pet i had a hamster when i was smaller for 2 years and i woke up to find that he was dead :( I feel very sorry for you.... Hope that you someday Can get a new tort :tort::)

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I am all for keeping the shell. A great way to keep his essence close. Make something of it or set it up somewhere. Among my peoples, the turtle represents the earth (more specifically the N. Amer. continent) - practical, natural, wise, tenacity and long life. I also grieve with you. :(
I would be beside myself to lose Digger. He is in my back yard and I am now concerned about stray coons in town. :eek:
What can be done - short of an electric fence ? :rolleyes:

Clunk

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how I'd feel if something ever happened to Clunk whom I've had for 5 years (he was also a rescue). Strange how one can get so attached to an animal that is incapable of returning affection, such as a dog or cat.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I am so sorry for your loss. I had a similar incident happen around 3 years ago. It was most likely a raccoon that killed my tortoise. I now have an electric fence around the entire enclosure. My husband buried my tortoise under a tree in the backyard.
Does the electric fence keep your tortoise in or just keep others out?

Mr Buster

Reno NV
When I first moved to Reno 11 years ago I stepped out my front door at 430AM to go to work and found myself between two coyotes, one that made a false charge at me. Now I keep an SR22L with a laser site and compressor when I leave the house if it is dark. I have killed 5 coyotes and 2 raccoons. My neighbor actually shot a 500lb black bear in his driveway. We have barn owls too. I keep Buster indoors just to be on the safe side.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Sorry about your loss and sad to renew this thread. But I think there is another predator people need to be aware of.

First, raccoons normally carry away their prey and eat it elsewhere a good distance from competition from their meal. Coyotes will most likely cause a good deal of damage to the shell.

Although you may never know what attacked your pet I think people need to be aware of birds of prey, especially owls. The main reason I house Buster indoors is that in addition to hawks, we have a large population of owls in the region. Sorry to bring up this topic again, but I have seen owls combat against cats. A small tortoise would not stand a chance.