My tortoise is the fussiest eater!!!

ellie e kemp

Arghhhh!!
Hi guys, My little shelby is a 2 year old russian tort, shes amazing -except for the fact she doesnt eat fruit or veg - just pellets
I try ALL (recommended)veggies and fruits and she refuses to eat ANY of them!! Its really frustrating because she used to pretty much eat spinach before I adopted her from the sanctuary and I wanted to introduce her to a variety of foods to keep her healthy (and because a tort eating a strawberry is just the cutest) but she doesnt seem to like anything at all! The only thing she likes to eat and will eat is dandilions and weeds and pellets.
I have tried: Tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce(not iceburg too much water) kiwi, strawberry, blueberries, you name it!
I have pellets from my tort sanctuary and apparently they are supposed to have 4-5 soaked and squished into a paste every 2 days or no more than like 4 times a week, these are basically all shes intrested in eating ever so what can I do to make her eat other things without starving her and depriving her of pellets!
We want her to be healthy and happy and feel that at the moment shes having the human equivelent of a Mcdonalds diet
Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ellie x ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466112940.071218.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466112958.724698.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
As you have discovered, torts are very, very, very stubborn (and you can add some more verys to that sentence)

They also can go a long time without eating as long as they're hydrated.

You have to think of your tort as a child that only wants to eat chips and chocolate. Tough! Parents are in charge here. It's time to put your foot down.

1. Soak for a good 30 minutes daily through this process
2. Chop the food your tort will eat really small and make sure it's wet
3. Chop a tiny amount of good food really small and mix it with the rest. It's wet and it will stick. Your tort can't pick it out.

Next feed:
If it's been eaten, slightly increase the good and decrease the bad
If it hasn't been eaten, feed the same proportions as the previous feed.

Gradually over time, as long as you don't give in, your tort will start eating the greens and you will wean him off the other stuff.

Your tort will go on hunger strike, but we are here to support you when the going gets tough :D A hungry tort will eat!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Those tortoise pellets are a big hit with my russians too!
But fruits arent recommended for russians. Stick with weeds and leafy greens.
The advice JoesMum gave about cutting the food up in small bits and mixing will work.
My russians lately have gotten picky about the home grown weeds and store bought veggies. I also cut and mixed with water for it to stick and im proud to say at least one of them gobbled everything up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
only wants 2 eat dandelions & weeds? That's the best diet for it, if that's what you're towards wants to eat have at it. Try leaves and flowers of various plants and see if anyone peaks its Interest.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It's slow going whatever the food change is, as others have noted. Hang in there, it will get better.

I am wondering where you were advised to feed fruit to a Russian? It's not something they are meant to eat. She can have all the weeds she wants, though!

ellie e kemp

Wow thanks for all the advice everyone!! I am trialling the child route from today!! And cutting the food really small will help Im sure! I didnt know they werent meant to eat fruit! The sanctuary kind of just listed stuff they could and couldent have and fruit wasnt mentioned! No wonder im trying to force strawberries down her and shes like no mum away with you!
Thanks for all your fab advice ill keep you posted with my stubborn tort! Im sure ill be needing more advice along the way lol,

Ellie x

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians can't digest sugars properly- they cause digestive and kidney problems - which is why fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally.

Most Russians adore sweet, red foods, even though they're bad for them, to the extent that they'll try eating anything coloured red whether it's actually food or not. I don't think I have heard of one refuse strawberry before :D

ellie e kemp

Thanks JoesMum i didnt know that about red foods!! I will update you and let you know how it goes with her diet! She has some weeds today and tomorrow im trialling a whole new ball game with her!! Prepare Shelby!!! Haha x