my tortoise makes crunching noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
sorry to make another thread!! but when i was watching my tortoise eat sometimes when he bites it makes like this crunch noise like a wierd one not a biting into food one his beak doesn't look over grown tho. I have a picture that shows it a little but idk how to upload it to this thread

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Is it a crunching sound or more like a squeak? If it is a crunching sound, does it sound like a knife cutting through the vegetable it is eating? Can you compare it to a familiar sound?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've had two Red-foots that made an occasional loud 'click'-like noise while eating, especially while eating fruit. I was never able to determine that it was a real issue and many other people at the time said theirs did the same thing.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale does it sometimes too. Don't know why though. :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Turtles do that all the time. Seems like it's the upper and lower beak rubbing together. They seem to be able to control it, so I think it's intentional. I don't think it's a sign of poor health; actually, I doubt if a turtle with an overgrown beak would even be able to make those sounds at all.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Almost all My Red's N Cherries ... make that sound through out the week ......;)

JD~:)

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
ChiKat said:
Nelson does it when he's drinking water...if we're talking about the same sound :p It's crunchy/squeaky and a little grating at times- like nails on a chalkboard ;)

Is it like this?? (about :10 in) http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-What-is-this-noise-that-Nova-makes#axzz1RO9xOaoN

That is the "squeak" I was trying to convey - like wooden floor boards or stairs.

If it sounds like a snapping turtle, I'd keep my fingers clear while it was eating! :D They do make a 'popping' or 'clicking' sound occasionally, also perfectly normal...

Status
Not open for further replies.