My tortoise was on his back, what do I do?

StephjShank

I just came home, and have been gone for four hours. Somewhere in that time frame my tortoise flipped himself on his back. I flipped him back up right, but now I am freaking out he's going to die. Should I be doing something else? He was crying when I got home, and he was a little wobbly when I first flipped him, but now he's in his "cave" area.

I read I should soak him in the bath tub, but I fear that will cause him more distress.

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
If he wasn't flipped under a heat lamp and showing overheating issues I would just leave him alone for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species and size? How long was he on his back?

StephjShank

No he was not under a head lamp, but he did have extremely runny diarrhea all over himself and the floor. I assume from the stress of being on his back. He is walking normal, but should I be worried about dehydration?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think this has probably happened to all of us at some point.

I'd leave him alone tonight and soak him tomorrow.

StephjShank

No problem.

One other thought: How did he get on his back? It might be worth some time to examine this and fix that situation, if its fixable. Does he live alone?

I am still working on an outdoor enclosure (I got him last week on a whim, felt sorry for him he was in a bucket in the pet store), I have one more side of fence to replace and then burry hardwire down 3 feet. So, right now, I leave him out during the day when i'm home, but if I am going to be away/over night I bring him in. I suspect he was trying to climb onto the bed and flipped himself. The fence will be done next weekend on Friday, so until then, its going to be a chance I have to take to leave him in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man I wish you had asked sooner. You don't need to bury wire with sulcatas. I've been keeping and raising all ages since 1991 and I've never buried wire or anything else for them. Never had one dig out. Now russians might be another story...

Do you have a heated night box for him when the outside enclosure is done?

StephjShank

Man I wish you had asked sooner. You don't need to bury wire with sulcatas. I've been keeping and raising all ages since 1991 and I've never buried wire or anything else for them. Never had one dig out. Now russians might be another story...

Do you have a heated night box for him when the outside enclosure is done?

I've had mixed reviews, some people are telling me he'll dig out within 20 minutes, some are saying he won't at all. I have lots of dog houses/crates and a huge barn area for him (it also houses 3 mini goats- they ignore each other and eat the same food, so its working so far). I live in FL so I didn't think I would need a heated box? Its 83 degrees right now over night, and high 90's doing the day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in FL so I didn't think I would need a heated box? Its 83 degrees right now over night, and high 90's doing the day.

You'll need one in the Fall and Winter. Gives him a nice warm dry spot to go to.

When they dig, they dig dig down at about a 45 degree angle. The burrow will usually curve to the right at some point. They do this for cover, shelter and to escape extreme heat. They do not dig down and then back up on another trajectory. They do not try to dig under barriers in an attempt to escape.

StephjShank

You'll need one in the Fall and Winter. Gives him a nice warm dry spot to go to.

When they dig, they dig dig down at about a 45 degree angle. The burrow will usually curve to the right at some point. They do this for cover, shelter and to escape extreme heat. They do not dig down and then back up on another trajectory. They do not try to dig under barriers in an attempt to escape.

I'll put that on the list! Usually I close the barn and leave the goat door open, smaller door- and keep a heated lamp and fill it with hay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll put that on the list! Usually I close the barn and leave the goat door open, smaller door- and keep a heated lamp and fill it with hay.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way. I don't intend to lecture or talk down to you, I'm just having some pleasant tortoise conversation with a new owner. I hope the typed word comes across the right way...

Heat lamps and dog houses are not the way to go with tortoises. Incandescent bulbs and CHEs "slow burn" the top of the carapace on large tortoises and they still don't do enough to warm the belly on a cold winter night. Hay doesn't do anything for an ectotherm either. Hay is an insulator, so it works great with goats and others animals that are generating their own heat, but it doesn't do anything for a tortoise except slow the inevitable heat loss on a cold night a little bit. Dog houses are too tall, not well insulated or sealed and the door is too big.

I'm just throwing this all out there for ya'. Here are some examples of night boxes that work well and were designed with large tortoises in mind:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

StephjShank

I don't want this to come across the wrong way. I don't intend to lecture or talk down to you, I'm just having some pleasant tortoise conversation with a new owner. I hope the typed word comes across the right way...

Heat lamps and dog houses are not the way to go with tortoises. Incandescent bulbs and CHEs "slow burn" the top of the carapace on large tortoises and they still don't do enough to warm the belly on a cold winter night. Hay doesn't do anything for an ectotherm either. Hay is an insulator, so it works great with goats and others animals that are generating their own heat, but it doesn't do anything for a tortoise except slow the inevitable heat loss on a cold night a little bit. Dog houses are too tall, not well insulated or sealed and the door is too big.

I'm just throwing this all out there for ya'. Here are some examples of night boxes that work well and were designed with large tortoises in mind:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Don't worry about it, I am starting from scratch with this guy, all advice welcomed and appreciated! I will start planning a tort box :)