Tortoise flipping on back

Rachel337

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada.
Hey guys, my red foot tortoise has been climbing the walls of her enclosure and getting herself flipped onto her back. Today when I came home she was flipped and not struggling anymore which worried me because usually shes fighting to get flipped back over. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to stop this! How long do you think he can last on her back? I have to be out of the house for 8 hours tomorrow and I'm worried she'll flip and I won't be home to save her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like something is not right in the enclosure. RF tortoises are generally one of the calmest, easy going species. Is your enclosure too small? Is it too hot? to cold?

Tortoises die pretty quickly if they're laying under the light. The heat gets them. But they last a bit longer in the shade. However, the lungs are compressed by everything inside the tortoise and it's hard for them to breathe when on their back.

Move things around so she can't get to the walls, even if its just temporary while you're gone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
can your tortoise see through the walls? i.e. no visual barriers

Rachel337

Alberta, Canada.
Yea I'll have to make a border so she can't get to the walls I guess. I think shes at a good temp based on what I've been told/researched. It's about 75+ on her cool side and 85+ on her warm side during the day. Humidity is 85+ she has a heat rock that she can sit on too but she doesn't go on it very much. she can't see though the walls but if she stands up on her back legs she can barely see over so I think that may be pat of the problem.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
can your tortoise see from one end of its enclosure to the other, with no sight barriers in between?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Yea she can, should she not be able to?
it sounds like your tortoise think its enclosure is too small which is one reason why it may be climbing the walls when you put sight barriers for your tortoise to block it's view, it thinks its enclosure is bigger so they do help