Flipping over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I came home from school today and my baby Russian, daisy, was flipped on her back! I don't know how long she was like this and I'm a bit worried... Should I do anything? Would this affect her health much?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
try to figure out what she flipped on. do you still have the half log against the tank wall? that could do it.

my advice would be to remove the cause or re arrange things to prevent it from happening again.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sometimes the babies have a harder time recovering from a roll over....if your little one has a recurring problem with random roll overs, you could get one of those pink rectangular grade school erasers, you can cut it either in half, or in thirds---depending on the size of your baby...and adhere it to the top of his shell, this will offer a kickstand affect, if you will, which will help your tort to be in a better position to flip itself back over.....just a suggestion :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
When you see your baby flip try and let it flip itself before helping it. They will learn how to do it and it a good thing for them to know. What substrate do you use? Sometimes loose substrate makes it hard

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
ascott said:
Sometimes the babies have a harder time recovering from a roll over....if your little one has a recurring problem with random roll overs, you could get one of those pink rectangular grade school erasers, you can cut it either in half, or in thirds---depending on the size of your baby...and adhere it to the top of his shell, this will offer a kickstand affect, if you will, which will help your tort to be in a better position to flip itself back over.....just a suggestion :D

what an interesting idea... i have never heard of that. have you tried this?? i'd love to see a picture of this if you have done it! :D

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Great idea!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
what an interesting idea... i have never heard of that. have you tried this?? i'd love to see a picture of this if you have done it!

I have seen it done, successfully----I have not had this issue arise with any of the torts living here....this was an idea that was posted as part of an article in Nevada with the Desert Tort Conservation group....they had great success with this simple trick....I certainly will use it at the first opportunity and of course I would post pics ;)

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
She stopped climbing on her log, so I am not as worried about her flipping over anymore. But, thank you for all your help, the eraser idea is really interesting!

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
western North Carolina
I know this is several months old, but, what do you use to adhere the eraser to the shell? My baby hermann's has developed a flipping habit lately and something like this would make me feel better when I have to be away for several hours at a time...

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My 8 month old RT stumbled off a flat rock last week and flipped over for first time. It took him 20 min but he flipped back over. I have a motion activated camera over his enclosure so I saw it happen but was at work! I sent an employee to my house to right him but he did it himself 5 min before she got there. The rock has been removed. He seems fine. It was awful to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
western North Carolina
GotTort said:
My 8 month old RT stumbled off a flat rock last week and flipped over for first time. It took him 20 min but he flipped back over. I have a motion activated camera over his enclosure so I saw it happen but was at work! I sent an employee to my house to right him but he did it himself 5 min before she got there. The rock has been removed. He seems fine. It was awful to watch!

I just got an IP/network camera today, haven't set it up yet, for when I have to be away in the Lab for long hours this fall. It's a Wansview. I also ordered a suction cup mount for it which hasn't arrived yet. I really hope I can get this all set up nicely so I can check in on her via a website I've set up. It was pretty cheap so I guess I'm a little worried because of that. Any tips on setting up and using a tort spy cam? Lol...

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I use something called Dropcam. I attached the camera to a zoomed lamp holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.