Tortoise flipping over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
I have read it isnt good for them. I haven't put anything in betty cage she could flip on, other than her log. How long can they be flipped over and what do you do if you find them? I work so I am out of the house approximately 10 hours a day and it has been my biggest tortoise worry lately.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tortoises do tend to flip over but it happens very rarely, they are able to flip themselves over though. My tort doesnt go up on his log because i put it at the corner of the cage and his bath right next to it so he cant climb on it, try doing something like that. :) best of luck!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
nicoleandrocky said:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tortoises do tend to flip over but it happens very rarely, they are able to flip themselves over though. My tort doesnt go up on his log because i put it at the corner of the cage and his bath right next to it so he cant climb on it, try doing something like that. :) best of luck!

She rearranges her cage like 3x a day. ;):tort:
I cant wait til we get her new hide complete

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Kerryann said:
nicoleandrocky said:

She rearranges her cage like 3x a day. ;):tort:
I cant wait til we get her new hide complete

Hahah tell me about it!
I put rocks under his basking light in the morning and by night time they are everywhere! he burrows under them and makes a mess all over them too... haha. :p

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
My Russian (whom I've had for 4 months) has flipped over around 3-4 times. I'm not trying to scare you. But it has only been when he was trying to climb something in my room that is almost vertical. Only once has he not flipped himself over. Otherwise, I watched to see if he can and he seems to do it no problem. They have very strong necks. I saw someone post that they do not chop up their torts food so that they have to work out their neck more. I do not know about other torts though!

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Blake m said:
My Russian (whom I've had for 4 months) has flipped over around 3-4 times. I'm not trying to scare you. But it has only been when he was trying to climb something in my room that is almost vertical. Only once has he not flipped himself over. Otherwise, I watched to see if he can and he seems to do it no problem. They have very strong necks. I saw someone post that they do not chop up their torts food so that they have to work out their neck more. I do not know about other torts though!

Hmm. i've never had any of my torts flip over before. I don't chop up my torts food, i feel its more natural that way and he doesnt mind at all :)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I wouldn't say its rare at all. I have it happen to me multiple times everyday. There's not a whole lot you can do, just flop them back over as soon as you see them like that. They also aren't great at flipping themselves back over. As far as how long they can last like that I really have no idea but I'd assume they can last at least 8 hours because I've woken up to them on their backs before and they were ok. Just try and make your encloser as flip over proof as you can and flip then back over as soon as you can.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Some torts climb more than others. Rather than removing obstaclrs, I'd advise you to put them in when you're at home.

Not only does this provide enrichment, but it also gives your tort the opportunity to practise safe climbing. A few minutes upside down will do no harm. By doing this your tort will learn to climb without capsizing.

In the wild, they have to learn to do this... and how to right themselves!

Joe is an experienced mountaineer with house bricks in his table. He can climb on and off them stacked two high and can get up the steps from our garden into the kitchen.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
This is well times! only last night my fiancee was asking how long they can survive on their backs (after Misha flipping over a couple of times after climbing in a plant), and on one occasion with my previous tortoise I came through in the morning and she was on her back, no idea how she got there or for how long! But she was fine (I dont think she had been like that too long though as I woke earlier than usual after hearing noises from the next room where she was)

EKLC

5 Year Member
Make sure the flipping does not occur beneath the basking lamp. If they flip under the lamp they will overheat. If they flip elsewhere you have more time.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I have a huge obstacle area I set up for betty and she is a pretty good climber. I have never seen her actually flip over but worry about what would happen if she did.
Thanks for the input everyone.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I had an indian star hatchling die this way, in less than 6 hours. Sometimes they're lucky, and are able to right themselves, sometimes not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thing is, a tortoise/turtle's lungs are just under the carapace. So when they have to lay on their back for any length of time, all the weight of everything inside the tortoise is on the lungs and it makes it difficult for them to breathe. They can hold their breath for a very long time, but sometimes its just too much.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Most torts only flip if they have an object in there enclosure they are playing or trying to climb.
usually when they are young they can withstand more time upside down.

the heavier they are when they flip all there wight and organs will suffocate their lungs,
some suffocate and some give up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.