How to keep babies from flipping over

tortoise-n00b

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I've had my tortoise babies for about two weeks and I've had to rescue them 5 times already from being flipped over while the others stood there apathetic like reptilian sociopaths.

Four of the times I believe was the same baby. This one is so energetic and is always eating and always moving, walking over other people, standing on two legs trying to climb out of the enclosure walls. This is what made him flip every time.

But this morning I saw the smallest guy flipped over in the middle of the enclosure. His arms and legs were flailing really really fast when I saw him. He wasn't relaxed like the other one when flipped over. I felt so bad.

But I really have no idea what made him flip right in the middle of the enclosure where it's just flat land. Maybe he tried to climb over someone?

Anyways I am guessing there is nothing I can do but I'm just scared when I'm gone to work someone will flip and lay there for hours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see this most commonly when the enclosure is too small. I hatch and raise 100's of babies a year and I will only find one upside down in the enclosure once or twice a year. I start them I enclosures that are quite large. Either 72x18", or 48x36".

What size enclosure are you using and how many babies are in it?

When you have them outside, what size is their enclosure? Sometimes when they get a taste of the great big world outside, it makes them fussy in their smaller indoor enclosures. @Yvonne G phrases and explains this point very well.

Show us a pic of the indoor enclosure. Sometimes we see things in the pics that don't come across in the typed word.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have 9 desert tortoise babies in the same enclosure. The only time I find any on their back is before I've had a chance to put new food down. This tells me that they're out looking for food, climbing the wall and landing on their back. The whole rest of the day, while there is still food on the feeding tile, there is no more flipping.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Why is it that they are not capable of righting themselves like, for example, a Red Eared Slider turtle?
Someone here made a great suggestion for fitting a kind of temporary frame on their carapace that would prevent the flipping. But that may be hard to do with multiple babies in one enclosure.

drew54

Indiana
Why is it that they are not capable of righting themselves like, for example, a Red Eared Slider turtle?
Someone here made a great suggestion for fitting a kind of temporary frame on their carapace that would prevent the flipping. But that may be hard to do with multiple babies in one enclosure.

It's because of their bone structure doesn't allow them to adjust their weight and bodies to move in a fashion to be able to right themselves. Their vertebral scutes are also a factor as well.

drew54

Indiana
It's because of their bone structure doesn't allow them to adjust their weight and bodies to move in a fashion to be able to right themselves. Their vertebral scutes are also a factor as well.

If this is wrong please correct me as this is my understanding.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If this is wrong please correct me as this is my understanding.
I would like to get some more explanations/opinions on this, but right now this thread is really about helping those baby tortoises to not flip over, which seems to be a real problem for the keeper.

tortoise-n00b

Los Angeles
So I found out the situation. One guy is really really hyperactive. He is constantly trying to climb out. Even inside his hide spot, he is climbing the walls a lot. I give him plenty of time outside to roam, but he is still quite active.

The other flip was a one time thing. I had chia growing and he eats the leaves but not the stalks. He was climbing on top of the chia to get to more leaves and flipped over.

drew54

Indiana
So I found out the situation. One guy is really really hyperactive. He is constantly trying to climb out. Even inside his hide spot, he is climbing the walls a lot. I give him plenty of time outside to roam, but he is still quite active.

The other flip was a one time thing. I had chia growing and he eats the leaves but not the stalks. He was climbing on top of the chia to get to more leaves and flipped over.

I've read on here from a few of the efforts that usually if a tortoise is constantly trying to get out they are looking for food. Do you keep food other than the chia in the enclosures?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Some pictures of the tortoises and the enclosure would be helpful

tortoise-n00b

Los Angeles
I've read on here from a few of the efforts that usually if a tortoise is constantly trying to get out they are looking for food. Do you keep food other than the chia in the enclosures?

Yes there is always a huge amount of food. I always throw away leftovers. They flip many times inside their crawl space. I see them climbing the walls.