My tortoise won’t leave her house

Jovon

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi, my tortoise isn’t leaving her house and I’m scared for her I don’t know if she is sick or in hybernation bc the heat lamp broke and it took us three days to get a new one. Should I take her to a doctor???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species? What size and age? What are the temperatures in the enclosure? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low? What size enclosure?

Jovon

Massachusetts
What species? What size and age? What are the temperatures in the enclosure? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low? What size enclosure?
She is a Russian tortoise and the temperature is a around 75-80% in the basking side and around 65-70% (although I think that might be to hot let me know) at the night because of my climate the whole tank can drop down to 60-65% but I put a towel of half of it and it warms back up. I am also trying to invest in a heat emiter. The size of her is actually unknown I adopted her and I am looking to find out her age when the world reopens. Last time I checked her she’ll length was around 2-3 inches wide. Sorry this is so long.

Jovon

Massachusetts
She is a Russian tortoise and the temperature is a around 75-80% in the basking side and around 65-70% (although I think that might be to hot let me know) at the night because of my climate the whole tank can drop down to 60-65% but I put a towel of half of it and it warms back up. I am also trying to invest in a heat emiter. The size of her is actually unknown I adopted her and I am looking to find out her age when the world reopens. Last time I checked her she’ll length was around 2-3 inches wide. Sorry this is so long.
She lives in a 40 gallon tank. Forgot to put that in:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She lives in a 40 gallon tank. Forgot to put that in:)
Let's start by having you read this. I think it will explain what is going on and show you what needs to change:

After you read that, come back and ask all your questions.

Jovon

Massachusetts
Let's start by having you read this. I think it will explain what is going on and show you what needs to change:

ok thank u man. I salute u!!! ( You kno cuz ur a 10 year veteran get it)

Jovon

Massachusetts

Ok so is her enclosure to small I think it might be. She eats zoo med pellets that are wet. We are going to build a tortoise enclosure for outside soon with leftover wood from a job, is pressure treated wood ok? ( It’s that green wood) also do I need to move her bc right now she is on the side of the room that actually has space but I’m afraid it gets to much ventilation bc of the window. You said that store bought water dishes aren’t good but you also said that if the track mulch or bedding in and poop in it they are comfortable that is what my tort does so should I get a new one or keep it? Thank you for all the help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok so is her enclosure to small I think it might be. She eats zoo med pellets that are wet. We are going to build a tortoise enclosure for outside soon with leftover wood from a job, is pressure treated wood ok? ( It’s that green wood) also do I need to move her bc right now she is on the side of the room that actually has space but I’m afraid it gets to much ventilation bc of the window. You said that store bought water dishes aren’t good but you also said that if the track mulch or bedding in and poop in it they are comfortable that is what my tort does so should I get a new one or keep it? Thank you for all the help.
Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much is it? It won’t show me
When I click on the link it says they are .98 cents, but that is the four inch size, you'll need something bigger for an older larger tortoise. Probably the 8 inch saucer. Since they are so cheap, I usually buy a few in case I drop one and break it. I also use them for a food dish.

Jovon

Massachusetts
When I click on the link it says they are .98 cents, but that is the four inch size, you'll need something bigger for an older larger tortoise. Probably the 8 inch saucer. Since they are so cheap, I usually buy a few in case I drop one and break it. I also use them for a food dish.
Ok thanks although my tank isn’t big enough for two espially if they are eight inch let me know if the food bowl I have now is bad image.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thanks although my tank isn’t big enough for two espially if they are eight inch let me know if the food bowl I have now is bad

This food bowl is no good for a tortoise. The sides are much too tall and too steep.

If you don't have room for two eight inch saucers, then your enclosure is way too small. Russians need a lot of room to roam around inside their enclosures.

Jovon

Massachusetts
This food bowl is no good for a tortoise. The sides are much too tall and too steep.

If you don't have room for two eight inch saucers, then your enclosure is way too small. Russians need a lot of room to roam around inside their enclosures.
Ok I might be able to fit them but let me know I’ll put a pic of her enclosure image.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
You really should upgrade that habitat.. Put any russian in there and it either will freak out trying to get out or just stay buried all day. Try and get a "tortoise table" or just build one. Or make an outdoor habitat. For either indoor or outdoor try to make it no smaller than 4x8 feet. Put that tortoise in an outdoor pen with sun, wind, grass, burrowing space, and you'll be amazed at the difference in personalities.

Anyways, adding a saucer in there would take way too much space and leave extremely little room for the tortoise to just walk. It'll basically have to choose between the hide, or the water in the saucer.

Jovon

Massachusetts
You really should upgrade that habitat.. Put any russian in there and it either will freak out trying to get out or just stay buried all day. Try and get a "tortoise table" or just build one. Or make an outdoor habitat. For either indoor or outdoor try to make it no smaller than 4x8 feet. Put that tortoise in an outdoor pen with sun, wind, grass, burrowing space, and you'll be amazed at the difference in personalities.

Anyways, adding a saucer in there would take way too much space and leave extremely little room for the tortoise to just walk. It'll basically have to choose between the hide, or the water in the saucer.
Ok my dad and I are trying to build an outside enclosure with some leftover wood. She can probably stay outside until I get a bigger enclosure and after that I’ll probably only put her in it in the winter. Thanks for all the help

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Ok my dad and I are trying to build an outside enclosure with some leftover wood. She can probably stay outside until I get a bigger enclosure and after that I’ll probably only put her in it in the winter. Thanks for all the help
Great!!!