My tortoise won't eat

Jessica Thomas

I have a Russian Tortoise and she is five. I got her from my cousin who raised her on lettuce. She won't eat the food I bought her and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Jessica, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
You don't mention how long you've had her, if she's just become yours, she may just be settling into her new home and will take time to adjust before she feels safe enough to eat.
The other most likely possibility is temperature. A tortoise will not eat unless it's body temperature is at least 85°.F
Please read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Follow the information given and your tortoise should be okay.
Please post photos of your enclosure, if possible, in case we can see a problem there.
And don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Jessica Thomas

I have a Russian Tortoise and she is five. I got her from my cousin who raised her on lettuce. She won't eat the food I bought her and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome Jessica.
if you follow the advice on the care and help sheets I'm sure it won't be long before your tort is settled and eating well.
If you post pics of your set up, lights etc members will be able to tell you if you need to make any changes to his home to keep him as safe and healthy as possible.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Jessica Thomas and a very warm welcome to the forum.:)

Don't panic: torts do not like change, therefore they take time to adapt to it. Moreover, they tend to lose appetite in Winter. What are you feeding her? Lettuce is not the right food despite the fact that torts love it. It's mostly water. What's the weather like back there?

Please post pics of your tort as well as her enclosure asap; so as to enable you us to help you more easily. n the meantime, read the so-called "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as the different care sheets . And ask ANY question when in need of help. That's what we're here for! :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Jessica and a very warm welcome to the forum!

As @Lyn mentioned posting pics of your tort and her enclosure would help us give you advise.

Torts do not like change, therefore they need time to adapt when this takes place.