My tortoise

mads3732

Location (City and/or State)
Harrington
So I recently build an outdoor enclosure for my RS named Tuttle. I will post pictures. He really loves it, and is really active. It's nice for him to get natural uv. I take him out when the weather is nice in the 85 range, and I make sure to monitor the weather and always keep watch on him. The frustrating thing as an owner is to see him go from being so active outdoors to barley moving inside. It gets to the point where unless I spray him with water or pet him, he wont get up. He usually sleeps under the same 3 hides in his indoor, even when I place food down he wont get up and seem intrested in it. He has always been picky, but has gotten better over the last few weeks since a change in diet. I've noticed that when he is active during the day, he eats alot more food. But still at times, I struggle with him eating a little bit if anything. My vet recommended that I feed him every other day, but I havent decided if that's a good idea or not for him. Hes a male and fairly small, but I'm not sure. I need advice. What are some suggestions for getting him to be more active indoors? How often should I feed him? And how should I wake him up if at all?

mads3732

Harrington
So I recently build an outdoor enclosure for my RS named Tuttle. I will post pictures. He really loves it, and is really active. It's nice for him to get natural uv. I take him out when the weather is nice in the 85 range, and I make sure to monitor the weather and always keep watch on him. The frustrating thing as an owner is to see him go from being so active outdoors to barley moving inside. It gets to the point where unless I spray him with water or pet him, he wont get up. He usually sleeps under the same 3 hides in his indoor, even when I place food down he wont get up and seem intrested in it. He has always been picky, but has gotten better over the last few weeks since a change in diet. I've noticed that when he is active during the day, he eats alot more food. But still at times, I struggle with him eating a little bit if anything. My vet recommended that I feed him every other day, but I havent decided if that's a good idea or not for him. Hes a male and fairly small, but I'm not sure. I need advice. What are some suggestions for getting him to be more active indoors? How often should I feed him? And how should I wake him up if at all?

20200524_153237.jpg

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Interested in what people have to say about this. Every time I take my hatching leopard outside daily for his/her daily hour of sunlight, my little covers a great amount of distance and is always looking for food. However, when inside all it doesn’t is stay in one spot, whether awake or asleep, looks for food, eats drinks water and then goes to sleep. Only difference is mine is kept indoors in a closed chamber. Thermometer reads 84+ and 83+ in humidity.

Is this behavior a sign of something?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
there are so many factors that could be at play here. how old is the tort, what are your temps inside the inside enclosure? what lights are you using? can we see pictures of the inside enclosure

mads3732

Harrington
there are so many factors that could be at play here. how old is the tort, what are your temps inside the inside enclosure? what lights are you using? can we see pictures of the inside enclosure

Attachments

• 1591150977667479950265575064369.jpg
    1591150977667479950265575064369.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 10

mads3732

Harrington
My tourtise is 10. I use heat lamps from ace hardware. I take him outside to get natural uv because I knew that it would hurt his eyes and was worried about buying the wrong UBV.