My turtle keeps trying to escape.

Edo

Location (City and/or State)
Milan, Italy
My Testudo Hermanni Boetgeri keeps trying to escape from her enclosure, I got her 1/2 weeks ago her enclosure is in the open with dirt under it, it's not that small, and she even has a small house, she tried to escape every day in a lot of different ways, I give her food and water, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Hi and welcome to the forum, if you post some pics of your enclosure people will be able to help you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give her time to settle in to it's new home. As long as she cant get out, let her explore and get it figured out.
Btw, without getting into a debate over the whole turtle/tortoise thing, a Hermann is a tortoise. More knowledge on this for tortoises then turtles. Calling it a tortoise will get more help. Just an fyi.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size is the enclosure? It needs to be larger than 122x244cm, and there needs to be a visual barrier all the way around the bottom so the tortoise can't see out.

The whole enclosure looks like it is in heavy shade. There needs to be heavy shade in summer, but there also needs to be sunny spots here and there so the tortoise can warm up and bask in the cooler mornings. This will be very important in spring and fall.

Tortoises are very territorial. They don't like moving to new and unfamiliar areas. You tortoise will try to go "home" for a while until it settles in and becomes familiar and comfortable in its new area.

Edo

Milan, Italy
It is 120x120cm, I will make it bigger as soon as I can. There is a lot of sunlight at the top during the day, I took the picture at a time when there was little sun. She can see the outside of the barrier, I will fix that too.