My yr old cdt not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungfu blonde

5 Year Member
Hi there! New at baby tortoise raising. I acquired Scout from a family member. He's a year old. He has a nice set up. Eats pretty well but the last couple of days he's been slacking with his food. He eats rep-cal pellets, baby tears, kale, peas, spring mix ...so he has variety. But do they sometimes just be 'not hungry'? He'll pick at it then move on and bask.

Thanks for advice

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Im not too familiar with desert tortoises, never lived in those regions. But its very close to hibernating season for them, might be trying to hibernate. We have quite a few members here with them hopefully they will chime in for yah.

TXRaunchy

5 Year Member
Dallas
tortadise said:
Im not too familiar with desert tortoises, never lived in those regions. But its very close to hibernating season for them, might be trying to hibernate. We have quite a few members here with them hopefully they will chime in for yah.

Do year old tortoises still hibernate? I thought they did that as they grew older?

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
TXRaunchy said:
Do year old tortoises still hibernate? I thought they did that as they grew older?

Yes, mine is only 3 months old and would try to brumate if I left it up to nature. I have a night time source of heat for him and keep his MVB on during the day for 14 hours to prevent this.

Do you have an idea of what your night time temps are? To my understanding they should be kept at 80*F or above to trick their bodies into not brumating, as well as keeping a consistent light cycle of around 14 hours during the day.

*But*, I'm a 'noob', myself, so this is all info I have come across on these forums.

Good luck! :D

reticguy76

5 Year Member
my (around year old) dt has slowed down eating and activity now. Not sure why year old torts wouldnt hibernate, in the wild they do, whatever the age and size. Its up to nature on whether they live through the winter though, as the weather doesnt stay warm for the little younger guys. Mine is a rescue that came in to my animal hospital just after last winter (so early spring) after being attacked by a canine of some sort (not much damage, but enough to where I was able to keep and rehab/treat him at home then just keep him). He is good and healthy now, but Im just letting him and nature do their thing.

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
kungfu blonde said:
Hi there! New at baby tortoise raising. I acquired Scout from a family member. He's a year old. He has a nice set up. Eats pretty well but the last couple of days he's been slacking with his food. He eats rep-cal pellets, baby tears, kale, peas, spring mix ...so he has variety. But do they sometimes just be 'not hungry'? He'll pick at it then move on and bask.

Thanks for advice

I don't think there is anything wrong with your year old. Based off what you are posting anyways. It is that time of year yes. I have several ranging from hatchling to 70 years old.

My adults have started slowing down alot, they eat about every 4-5 days and are staying in their hides longer and longer.

I acquired 6 babies (ranging from 5 day old to 5 year old) and have noticed they are slowing down a bit too.

If you have had your year old CDT for awhile now, and know his routine and you feel he is healthy, hibernate or not, up to you is my opinion.

testtudude

5 Year Member
I have two 4-6 year old Russian tortoises and they both have gone the last 20 days eating next to nothing. They have plenty of fresh greens offered every day, but they are not interested. They bask and roam about every day and seem healthy. I worry about mine to, but I guess they will snap out of it. Hope your little one starts eating also.

Status
Not open for further replies.