Nail trimming and bleeding

marissab

I take my tortoise outside on the concrete to file down the nails, but it hasn't been helping whatsoever. Every time I hold him his nails proceed to scrape my hands painfully. I looked on this forum and it said to trim them. I tried my best to not hurt his nerve, but he started to bleed and then proceeded to poop. I feel terrible that I hurt him, and now I'm worried that he will be frightened of me whenever he interacts with me.

Does this cause them a lot of pain? Will he be scared of me whenever I approach him now?
Should I use a nail file instead?
I'm a beginner and the last thing I want to do is to hurt him. Help!

Hello

Well your tortoise is probably in a lot of stress so try to calm him down I suggest calling your vet for advice. Don't actually trim the nail let it trim naturally by letting him walk on rocks or tile that you can put in his enclosure make sure no pestitsides have been used on the rock don't get rocks outside as you don't know how dirty they are. Ask your vet how to stop the bleeding. You can rebuild the trust between you and your tortoise just let him be alone for a few days and it you must handle him do it gently and slowly its normal for tortoises to scratch but there is really nothing you can do about it

marissab

The bleeding stopped almost immediately after it started, I think I just nicked him. He's still scared but I hand fed him some aloe leaf and he seems better. Chomping like normal now.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
The treats should help erase some of the trauma.

If you can't clearly see the vein, use a nail file. With clippers, only take tiny, tiny bits off at a time. You're sure the nails needed trimming? Some tortoises are just scratchy - the nails help them climb.

Douglas Yardley

I tried cutting just a little bit off the end of a nail on my Red-Foot's hind foot, but got a drop of blood nonetheless. It appears that the "quick" or nailbed extends almost to the tip of the nail. My Red-foot has dark-coloured nails, so I can't see where the quick ends. I let her wear her nails naturally by letting her have walkies outside.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well your tortoise is probably in a lot of stress so try to calm him down I suggest calling your vet for advice. Don't actually trim the nail let it trim naturally by letting him walk on rocks or tile that you can put in his enclosure make sure no pestitsides have been used on the rock don't get rocks outside as you don't know how dirty they are. Ask your vet how to stop the bleeding. You can rebuild the trust between you and your tortoise just let him be alone for a few days and it you must handle him do it gently and slowly its normal for tortoises to scratch but there is really nothing you can do about it
Very sorry about the bleeding. Hope your tort is now better. Have you visited a vet?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No, I'm actually out of town for two days. His nail was dark when I left but he wasn't bleeding and was eating when I left
Hello, how is your tort today. Hope things are better and that he has recovered. Thank GOD that there's no more bleeding.

marissab

I'm out of town still, but my sister says that he was eating and digging in his habitat so I'm sure he's fine. I will just put some rocks in his habitat and use a nail file in the future

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm out of town still, but my sister says that he was eating and digging in his habitat so I'm sure he's fine. I will just put some rocks in his habitat and use a nail file in the future
Great! This means he has recovered.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
If you cut nails, go slow. Keep styptic powder, corn starch or super glue nearby in case you get blood.

Reactions: Rue