need a little help. (wierd noise, itchy eyes)

jen&Shelly

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester England
Hi im new here i just wanted a little help with my tortoise its been doing this weird thing where it closes its eyes and makes a weird noise and pulls its head in and start trying to itch its head or something i would also like to know if its a male or a female and does it look healthy?

i have some pictures here

View attachment 269406 View attachment 269407 View attachment 269408
Hiya,
From what I can see I would bet that your tortoise is a male.
He looks healthy too so don’t worry

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That’s fine, you don’t want him getting too cold. If you have a warmer day lowest of 18 degrees C than he can get some sun.

This is Sweden we are talking about. In a sheltered spot it will be warm enough in full sun with temperatures lower than 18C... the UK, where I live, is warmer than Sweden, but Joe would never have gone outside if I waited for 18C! As it is he lived outdoors 24/7 when not in hibernation.

This thread I wrote shows how I did it, @Ola55 :)

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
This is Sweden we are talking about. In a sheltered spot it will be warm enough in full sun with temperatures lower than 18C... the UK, where I live, is warmer than Sweden, but Joe would never have gone outside if I waited for 18C! As it is he lived outdoors 24/7 when not in hibernation.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
This is a small p

thank you for correcting me

mags48

PRESTON Lancashire
Hi im new here i just wanted a little help with my tortoise its been doing this weird thing where it closes its eyes and makes a weird noise and pulls its head in and start trying to itch its head or something i would also like to know if its a male or a female and does it look healthy?

i have some pictures here

View attachment 269406 View attachment 269407 View attachment 269408
Hi Looks like your tortoise could be a male. His skin looks very dry so might be itchy. His scutes look as though they are pyramiding. Have you tried soaking him in a warm bath for half an hour. Give his skin a rub gently with a towelling T.towell when you get him out. Check for mites. Hope this works for you. Good luck.

calmingwind

Phx Az
The vet should give you antibiotics. Just decline any vitamin injections. One way to help with a RI is to keep the tortoise warm, above 80 day and night. They need that warmth to heal.
When I cared for snakes with this issue I would soak them in water with Urethamyasin Over night. Don’t know if that would work for torts

LAwoman

Clio Michigan
Hi I’m new to owning a Leopard tortoise! A large plastic tote is working for me when I’m
Up north. I have a 30 gallon fish tank. I watch
Beds breK
Yes
See you

Ola55

Sweden

Ola55

Sweden
Hi Looks like your tortoise could be a male. His skin looks very dry so might be itchy. His scutes look as though they are pyramiding. Have you tried soaking him in a warm bath for half an hour. Give his skin a rub gently with a towelling T.towell when you get him out. Check for mites. Hope this works for you. Good luck.
yes i was a little worried with the pyramid thing i have no clue how it works but ik bout it and ye i bath him but i didnt know i had to rub his skin what tool should i use for this?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
yes i was a little worried with the pyramid thing i have no clue how it works but ik bout it and ye i bath him but i didnt know i had to rub his skin what tool should i use for this?

There is no need to rub his skin with anything. All animals shed skin... even humans.

Human skin is shed in such small pieces that it is house dust. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Tortoises shed their skin in patches and the quantity varies, but they look awful at times. Just leave it, the old dead skin will rub off naturally.