Need a Little Help with weed identification

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a couple young sulcatas and a bumper crop of cold weather weeds that i can't identify and was wondering if these might be safe as part of a varied diet for them.They are young plants.Picture 008.jpg Picture 009.jpg Picture 011.jpg Picture 012.jpg Picture 007.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I think it's more along the lines of Purple dead nettle. Take a look at post #15 in this thread:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/p...ts-both-edible-and-toxic-for-tortoises.14564/
I've been doing some research and post 15 caught my attention yesterday. I went back to look at some of my older pics and found this one,(it's not very good) but it shows purple dead nettle.growing in April of this year in the front yard.Picture 0.jpgIt gets more purple as it matures, Never thought about using as a food source and never noticed it growing until early spring (not in late fall). Whats growing here now hasn't grown much in the last couple days because of the cold spell. 3 straight nights in the low 20s and day time highs in the 30s, but it still looks good. I'm going to offer some to the young sulcatas by it's self to see if they eat it and if so I'll start mixing in a little with the other weeds I'm feeding them already.