Need Advice - Outdoor shed for winter housing

Tortoisechickenlady

Location (City and/or State)
Greenville SC
Hello. I’m looking for some advice on building an outdoor enclosure out of a plastic storage shed..
I’m contemplating purchasing the one pictured for my adult leopard who is about 20 lbs. We are in SC so the winters are mild but cold enough he needs heated housing. My plan is to cut his entry door where I marked in pink, and add flaps to keep in heat. Anyone have thoughts on if this is a good or bad idea? The material is resin. Is that safe to have a heater plugged in there? See last pic for the oil filled radiator setup I was also thinking... yay or nay? Thank you

1662173767084.png

1662173792991.png
1662173848943.png

Attachments

• 1662173923101.png
    1662173923101.png
    395.1 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its too tall and not insulated well enough. I tried to modify structures like this and it doesn't work in my climate which is milder than yours. Its also too small for the amount of time your tortoise is going to have to spend in it. You need something much larger like a shed that is retro-fitted with good insulation, or a room in the house.

Here are two ways to do it in my climate where we have warm sunny days for most of winter:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom except it's too small not tall. He may have meant to say small. Unless you can insulate it and get a larger one. Not sure what your winter day time temps are but less then 75 and sunny they will be inside most days. They will need room to be able to roam inside to keep muscle strength up and insides moving properly.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Tom except it's too small not tall. He may have meant to say small. Unless you can insulate it and get a larger one. Not sure what your winter day time temps are but less then 75 and sunny they will be inside most days. They will need room to be able to roam inside to keep muscle strength up and insides moving properly.
@Maddoggy knew what I was saying. The tortoise is only 12 inches tall, or somewhere near that. There is no sense in trying to heat the air four feet above the tortoise, and that is where all the heat being generated will rise to. Its much easier and much more efficient to heat a box that is less than two feet tall inside, and that is plenty of height for the tortoise.

When using a walk-in type larger shed, floor temps need to be carefully watched and adjusted, as I know you know.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Maddoggy knew what I was saying. The tortoise is only 12 inches tall, or somewhere near that. There is no sense in trying to heat the air four feet above the tortoise, and that is where all the heat being generated will rise to. Its much easier and much more efficient to heat a box that is less than two feet tall inside, and that is plenty of height for the tortoise.

When using a walk-in type larger shed, floor temps need to be carefully watched and adjusted, as I know you know.
Okay I see what you meant. I would rather a walk in shed personally, which is what I have.
That's an awful big night box that would need to he built though without being able to walk into it for cleaning, feeding and watering for a tort that may be living in it for a good part of winter.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
That makes sense Wellington, here where I live there are very few days without sun and reasonably warm temps so my guys get out almost everyday. Thats the time I interact with them and feed . If it was snowing out side I think I would want to get inside a warm shed with the torts but the height is for you and not your torts.I agree with Tom on keeping floor temps at proper levels. I had built a similar shed in Ohio for dogs whelping pups . The ceiling temp was 75 when the floor temp was in the 50 range. Its a lot easier here for Tortoise keeping then Ohio .

Tortoisechickenlady

Greenville SC
Its too tall and not insulated well enough. I tried to modify structures like this and it doesn't work in my climate which is milder than yours. Its also too small for the amount of time your tortoise is going to have to spend in it. You need something much larger like a shed that is retro-fitted with good insulation, or a room in the house.

Here are two ways to do it in my climate where we have warm sunny days for most of winter:

Thank you Tom. It's
It's 6.25 ft. l x 3.6 ft. w x 4.3 ft. h.. I feel that is bigger than some of the other houses I've seen. I do plan to bring him inside to walk around / hang out but for his 'permanent' housing, a shed is still needed. Thank you for the advice.

Tortoisechickenlady

Greenville SC

Thanks. I may have a custom wood-box built like yours. Do you have just straight plywood on the ground?

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I did the same thing Tom did and I insulated the floor. I leveled the floor by using 16x16 inch patio stones on each corner. That kinda raised the floor level so I had to build ramps. My male learned rather quickly how to go up and down the ramp where I am stil try to train my female to use the ramp.Im not sure if train is the right word to use but im putting up diverters to guide her in the right spot and get up the ramp.She is an albino and does not see as well as my male.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 5

Tortoisechickenlady

Greenville SC
I did the same thing Tom did and I insulated the floor. I leveled the floor by using 16x16 inch patio stones on each corner. That kinda raised the floor level so I had to build ramps. My male learned rather quickly how to go up and down the ramp where I am stil try to train my female to use the ramp.Im not sure if train is the right word to use but im putting up diverters to guide her in the right spot and get up the ramp.She is an albino and does not see as well as my male.
Awesome design :)