Need help as soon as possible. (closed eye & shell rot)

Ramus

5 Year Member
After 5 days of treatment is it starting to look better? I've been taking a toothbrush and dipping it in betadine then I brush the plasturon with the toothbrush. I then rinse the tort off with water dry him, then I apply lotrimin to the affected areas.

Attachments

• WIN_20140620_032734.JPG
    WIN_20140620_032734.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 27
  • WIN_20140620_032742.JPG
    WIN_20140620_032742.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 26

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
My suggestion would be to buy a cement mixing tub from Loews/Home Depot. They are cheap and easy to use and similar in size to the Zoo Med house or buy a large Rubbermaid bin. Both you could cover with plexiglass (partially) and keep your humidity up.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm currently battling shell rot. And chlorhexadine works great. It's healing nicely

Ramus

5 Year Member
It has to prescribed by a dentist or Doctor in Missourri. Anything else?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You shouldn't be using Betadine all the time. It inhibits the growth of new white cells. So you can use it the first time to kill off any germs, but after that you should be using Chlorhexidine, brand name Nolvesan. Drug stores sell it. It is used by doctors as a pre-surgery hand scrub.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
You shouldn't be using Betadine all the time. It inhibits the growth of new white cells. So you can use it the first time to kill off any germs, but after that you should be using Chlorhexidine, brand name Nolvesan. Drug stores sell it. It is used by doctors as a pre-surgery hand scrub.

I agree chlorhexadine works wonders. Again I bought mine on amazon if you are having trouble finding it

Ramus

5 Year Member
I just went to put some lotrimin on him and he's unresponsive. I think it's very likely that he's dead. If ANYONE reads this please tell me how to check if he is alive . I've tried soaking him and rinsing just a little bit of cold water. I honestly think he is dead.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Put under heat source for a few minutes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He's dead. RIP Booker.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Aww, I'm so sorry..... :((