Need help choosing a tortoise

cupuente18

Hi, I live in Northern California, where it can get pretty hot during the summer and very cold in the winter, it doesn't rain too often. I don't know what kind of tortoise would be able to tolerate all of this as much as possible. I do not have a ton space in my backyard so a sulcata is not an option. Please help!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Consider a russian or a greek tortoise. Both will need shade and heat of course but can stand low 70s temps well.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Consider a russian or a greek tortoise. Both will need shade and heat of course but can stand low 70s temps well.
Aren't Russian torts the easiest to handle/deal with for beginners?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum! Russian tortoises are very good first tortoises. They can withstand your hot summers, then hibernate during the winter.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Yes and Russians are freakin adorable!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450416571.926522.jpg

vlad21

I also live in Northern California and I have a Russian! Pretty easy to maintain, although I am new to this. I don't have too much experience but I will say with my own personal experience thus far, I am glad I chose her and not a different breed!

cupuente18

Thank you guys but my dad and I decided to go with a Leopard tortoise because we're not sure if we'll still be living in Northern California in a few years. He should be arriving on Tuesday! I'm so excited!

BlackFoxSun

leopards get pretty decent size....nothing like a sulcata but still decent size...but their absolutely gorgeous and i was gonna get one but their to big for the space i have inside. @cupuente18 any pics since its tuesday evening? i got my baby today as well

cupuente18

It got delayed , FedEx says it might get here tonight or tomorrow... But I will post pictures when I get it!

BlackFoxSun

my little one almost got delayed to but luckily not....cant wait to see yours...did you get a hatchling or a bigger one?

cupuente18

It got here about 20 minutes ago! He/She actually around 2 inches! Let me get the pictures.

M

Maggie Cummings

Soak it right away in warm water. Then soak daily. Does it feel cold to you? Please go to the Leopard section and follow the care sheet. Sand causes impaction, generally speaking, get rid of it. BlackFoxSun was correct. Hatchlings sink fast and are not the best choice for a beginner in my opinion. So stay in touch, read and follow the care sheet and remember, welcome and keep hanging around...