Need Help Deciding Best Tortoise For My Situation

turtlejoe84

Location (City and/or State)
Quebec
Hi,
I have been researching a lot about possible Tortoise species in order to make the best educated decision on which species to get. I want to be positive i can provide it with a suitable habitat and the proper care. I will give a description of where i live and my expectations of space i have for the tortoise. Any reccomendations on species and even reputable breeders to get them from would be greatly appreciated.

Climate/Environment

- I live in Quebec City, winters are brutal and in the summer it doesnt get extremely hot (Highs around 80F and Lows around 60F)
- My yard is very big (2,000 sq ft) a lot of natural shade from trees and plenty of leaves in the Fall
- having a tortoise in my back yard wouludnt be an issue considering the size of the yard, i am more concerned about the climate

Expectations

- Considering the harsh winters (i dont think many species would survive) I would probably need to move my tortoise inside when it starts getting cold.
- I could provide around 10-12 sq ft of room for my Tortoise indoors.
- With the space i could provide indoors and from the research i have done ideally i would need a species that doesnt get bigger than around 7 in once adult. (correct me if this is wrong)

Any suggestions of species that you think could thrive in these conditions would be appreciated. Wether that mens a tortoise that is small enough to keep indoors 100% of the time, or one that could be kept outside in the warmer months and indoors during winter.

Thank You

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
Great, that you are doing research prior to getting a tortoise!

Unlike many other reptiles, tortoises need much walking space. And even for the smallest of them something like 30 sq.ft. is highly desirable. This can be worked around with a double-level or L-shaped enclosure (this is one of the great examples - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...closure-expansion-for-hermes-tortoise.208557/).

Luckily, there are species who can hibernate (brumate, to be precise) in the winter. And given that you have plenty of outdoor space it's possible to keep them in your climate. Brumation is done in the fridge, not outdoors, of course. One of the most cold-hardy and popular species are Russian tortoises. Then go Hermann's who grow a bit smaller but they are less cold tolerant. With enough indoors space you may choose not to brumate tortoise at all. Or look at the smallest specie like Egyptian tortoise.

As for the space outdoors, you will need to provide enough sunny areas for tortoise to bask in the full sun. Also, outdoor time can be extended with greenhouse. Or you can build an insulated shed to house your tortoise until temperatures drop exceptionally low.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Welcome. Fantastic to do a little research before the animal is attained. Don't ever feel like any question doesn't need to be asked, all questions should be asked and here you'll get answers.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome! Always happy to see people research BEFORE they get a tortoise. Please start here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954

its a LOT but its good info.

10-12' isn't enough for any tortoise to live healthily, you could look at the tiniest of species like an Egyptian (assuming you can get one). As others mentioned you can get one that can brumate, but it probably can't be outside enough of a year that you can "not" have a good indoor space for it.

If you can increase your indoor space, a Russian is an easy-to-find (please do not get from a pet store though) and fairly hardy. For your outdoor space, make sure it is fenced because all tortoises are escape artists

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Welcome to the forum! Glad you are researching before getting a tortoise :) I would recommend a temperate species, like Greeks, Hermanis or Russians. I would also look into what responsible tortoise sellers you have in your are, maybe even consider re-homing one and giving a tortoise the best rest of their life possible. For me the Russian tortoise was a clear choice for one because many of them need homes in my country. Here are some links for research:

turtlejoe84

Quebec
Hello and welcome!
Great, that you are doing research prior to getting a tortoise!

Unlike many other reptiles, tortoises need much walking space. And even for the smallest of them something like 30 sq.ft. is highly desirable. This can be worked around with a double-level or L-shaped enclosure (this is one of the great examples - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...closure-expansion-for-hermes-tortoise.208557/).

Luckily, there are species who can hibernate (brumate, to be precise) in the winter. And given that you have plenty of outdoor space it's possible to keep them in your climate. Brumation is done in the fridge, not outdoors, of course. One of the most cold-hardy and popular species are Russian tortoises. Then go Hermann's who grow a bit smaller but they are less cold tolerant. With enough indoors space you may choose not to brumate tortoise at all. Or look at the smallest specie like Egyptian tortoise.

As for the space outdoors, you will need to provide enough sunny areas for tortoise to bask in the full sun. Also, outdoor time can be extended with greenhouse. Or you can build an insulated shed to house your tortoise until temperatures drop exceptionally low.
Thank You for the response. I definetly could host my tortoise and brumate it in winter(altough it kinda scares me being new to it) definetly will take all this into account in order to make sure I can provide the necessary mentioned above before getting a tortoise.

turtlejoe84

Quebec
Welcome to the forum! Glad you are researching before getting a tortoise :) I would recommend a temperate species, like Greeks, Hermanis or Russians. I would also look into what responsible tortoise sellers you have in your are, maybe even consider re-homing one and giving a tortoise the best rest of their life possible. For me the Russian tortoise was a clear choice for one because many of them need homes in my country. Here are some links for research:
Tahnk You for the response greatly appreciated

turtlejoe84

Quebec
Welcome! Always happy to see people research BEFORE they get a tortoise. Please start here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954

its a LOT but its good info.

10-12' isn't enough for any tortoise to live healthily, you could look at the tiniest of species like an Egyptian (assuming you can get one). As others mentioned you can get one that can brumate, but it probably can't be outside enough of a year that you can "not" have a good indoor space for it.

If you can increase your indoor space, a Russian is an easy-to-find (please do not get from a pet store though) and fairly hardy. For your outdoor space, make sure it is fenced because all tortoises are escape artists
thank you for the info. Definetly will look at the link to get more info and knowledge

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
I have been researching a lot about possible Tortoise species in order to make the best educated decision on which species to get. I want to be positive i can provide it with a suitable habitat and the proper care. I will give a description of where i live and my expectations of space i have for the tortoise. Any reccomendations on species and even reputable breeders to get them from would be greatly appreciated.

Climate/Environment

- I live in Quebec City, winters are brutal and in the summer it doesnt get extremely hot (Highs around 80F and Lows around 60F)
- My yard is very big (2,000 sq ft) a lot of natural shade from trees and plenty of leaves in the Fall
- having a tortoise in my back yard wouludnt be an issue considering the size of the yard, i am more concerned about the climate

Expectations

- Considering the harsh winters (i dont think many species would survive) I would probably need to move my tortoise inside when it starts getting cold.
- I could provide around 10-12 sq ft of room for my Tortoise indoors.
- With the space i could provide indoors and from the research i have done ideally i would need a species that doesnt get bigger than around 7 in once adult. (correct me if this is wrong)

Any suggestions of species that you think could thrive in these conditions would be appreciated. Wether that mens a tortoise that is small enough to keep indoors 100% of the time, or one that could be kept outside in the warmer months and indoors during winter.

Thank You
The outdoor space and climate would suit any of the Testudo in summer.

Indoors, you would need at least 4x8 feet (122x244cm) which would be around 32 sq. ft. Then you'd have to decide if you want a species that brumates, or not. Stars could live indoors year round with the correct set up. Most of the Testudo would be fine indoors too, and you don't have to brumate them, though I think you ought to if it is a species that would brumate in the wild.

We can help. Ask lots of questions.