Need help! (enclosure too hot)

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Most babies hate baths. Mine is over 8months now and is only beginning to like her bath. Your little one won't come to any harm. Just carry on doing it everyday. Try create a routine, that might help him to settle a little bit more. Besides, the exercise he will get trying to get out, will help get his system working nicely. And generally the bath helps them to pee and poop, thereby helping you to keep his enclosure that little bit cleaner.
Oops. Sorry I see your question was answered. That'll teach me to read further first. [emoji6]

Bee62

Germany
Thanks, he also seems a bit bored is there anything I can do to make his enclosure more stimulating? He walks and climbs a lot
Be happy that he do this. It is a good sign for a tort to be active, climbing and roaming around. Russian torts are known to be especially alert !
How tall is your enclosure ? Maybe you can build him a second "floor" with a ramp to climb but please with a little fence against tort "crashes". LOL.

London
Ah I’m glad to hear! He is very active always climbing on his logs. It’s not so big but we are thinking of building him another one as a sort of play area which is bigger and he can walk around in when supervised . [emoji5]

Bee62

Germany
Ah I’m glad to hear! He is very active always climbing on his logs. It’s not so big but we are thinking of building him another one as a sort of play area which is bigger and he can walk around in when supervised . [emoji5]
When you have the space and money. - bigger is for sure better. A tort enclosure can not be too big. Tortoises are small creatures but they roam long ways in the wild in search of food, basking places and good burrows / hides. We should never forget that tortoises need much space.
Keeping them in a 20 gal tank how people sometimes do is animal abuse to my opinion.
Your tort has a wonderful enclosure, but I am sure he will be very satisfied with more space !:)

London
Is it safe to watch him walk around the house? I take him out every day and let him walk where he wants but I follow him keeping a close eye he doesn’t go in any small spaces, and making sure floor is clean etc.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
No, this can be dangerous for the tort. Floors are much lower in temps, he could get cold and sick. Not only that but he could get stepped on, eat something like hair or dust, and this can and has caused impaction or hair tangling in the gut, which could be deadly. Even though you say you are watching him, all it takes is a second for an accident to happen. Also, your tort will want this freedom all the time and will pace his enclosure, scratching at the walls or bottom, looking for a way to get out.

Bee62

Germany
No, this can be dangerous for the tort. Floors are much lower in temps, he could get cold and sick. Not only that but he could get stepped on, eat something like hair or dust, and this can and has caused impaction or hair tangling in the gut, which could be deadly. Even though you say you are watching him, all it takes is a second for an accident to happen. Also, your tort will want this freedom all the time and will pace his enclosure, scratching at the walls or bottom, looking for a way to get out.
I totally agree with Cheryl. The floor is to dangerous and when the tort is used to leave the enclosure he wants this privilege the whole day long. No good idea.

Last edited:
London
Just needed some advice my tortoise has been energetic and climbing all day but he hasn’t eaten since last night is this normal? I’m a bit worried he’s not interested in his food and he’s usually got quite an appetite. He hasn’t gone in the water either

Bee62

Germany
We also got him new bedding it’s coarse 100% pure coconut husk
You have changed the substrate in his enclosure ? That is good, but that is perhaps also the reason why your tort is upset and not eating. Torts want no changes in their enclosure, they hate changes ! He might be feeling uncomfortable and try to escape. Give him some days to settle in. When he is hungry he will eat.

London
We changed the enclosure only tonight, he didn’t want to eat before that so I don’t think it’s because of the change

Bee62

Germany
Hi. are there news ? Is your tort eating now ?

London
Yes he’s doing fine now he’s eating, only thing is that he’s sleeping on hot side burrowed down into the choir, but the lights aren’t off yet so he may change

Bee62

Germany
Yes he’s doing fine now he’s eating, only thing is that he’s sleeping on hot side burrowed down into the choir, but the lights aren’t off yet so he may change
They sometimes sleep in different places. Let him sleep where he wants to, it will be okay.